cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Collection showed up after discharge

apay
Valued Member

Help! Collection showed up after discharge

An account I don't think was included in ch 7 because I forgot all about it (and we moved, so I wasn't getting any correspondence), has shown up on myFICO as a collection account with coast to coast financial as of 8/12/17 on Experian for like $100.  BK 7 discharged 8/1/17---Any idea how I can get this removed asap?

6 REPLIES 6
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Help! Collection showed up after discharge

For a BK7, it doesnt matter if it wasn't listed on your schedule, all debts prior to filing are included in the BK. I would dispute asap as IIB, not reposnsible. They cant report that, that totally against the BK laws. 

My rebuild worked for me, but won't necessarily work for you!
BK7 D/C- 08/2013
Message 2 of 7
apay
Valued Member

Should I call the collection company?  Formal dispute?  What's the best way to handle do you think?  It'snow on two reports.

Message 3 of 7
Scupra
Super Contributor

@apay wrote:

Should I call the collection company?  Formal dispute?  What's the best way to handle do you think?  It'snow on two reports.

I would try reaching out to the collection company first, sometimes this can be the easiest Smiley Happy If they don't want to play nice I would move onto a dispute with the CRA's. Hope that helps!

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
759 EQ FICO 03/2021
754 TU FICO 03/2021
743 EX FICO 03/2021
$29k NFCU Platinum | $30k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold
Message 4 of 7
SteelerNYC
Valued Contributor

@Scupra wrote:

@apay wrote:

I would try reaching out to the collection company first, sometimes this can be the easiest Smiley Happy If they don't want to play nice I would move onto a dispute with the CRA's. Hope that helps!

^ Agree. I had a bill I didn't know about show up after discharge. I wrote the collection agency a short note and included a copy of my discharge and never heard anything about it again.

Ch 7 Discharge May 2015
Discover/Target/NFCU CLOC/NFCU More Rewards Amex/NFCU Platinum/PenFed Power Cash Rewards/PenFed Pathfinder Visa/Citi Costco Visa/CapitalOne SavorOne/Apple Card - $139,100 total revolving, 21% utilization
3.25% mortgage July 2020, $20k used Auto Loan October 2020, $20k PenFed Personal Loan Dec 2020
687/683/673 EX/EQ/TU w/ 5/6/6 INQs as of Jan 2021
Spending 2021 in the Garden
Message 5 of 7
Scupra
Super Contributor

@SteelerNYC wrote:

@Scupra wrote:

@apay wrote:

^ Agree. I had a bill I didn't know about show up after discharge. I wrote the collection agency a short note and included a copy of my discharge and never heard anything about it again.

Almost the same thing for me. Random collection showed up, called them and provided lawyer/BK info and they told me they would have it fixed within a week.

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
759 EQ FICO 03/2021
754 TU FICO 03/2021
743 EX FICO 03/2021
$29k NFCU Platinum | $30k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold
Message 6 of 7
apay
Valued Member

Thanks!  I called the collection company.  They asked for my bk info and lawyer name and said that's all they needed.  

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.