Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Collection showed up after discharge

tag
apay
Valued Member

Help! Collection showed up after discharge

An account I don't think was included in ch 7 because I forgot all about it (and we moved, so I wasn't getting any correspondence), has shown up on myFICO as a collection account with coast to coast financial as of 8/12/17 on Experian for like $100.  BK 7 discharged 8/1/17---Any idea how I can get this removed asap?

6 REPLIES 6
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Help! Collection showed up after discharge

For a BK7, it doesnt matter if it wasn't listed on your schedule, all debts prior to filing are included in the BK. I would dispute asap as IIB, not reposnsible. They cant report that, that totally against the BK laws. 

Message 2 of 7
apay
Valued Member

Should I call the collection company?  Formal dispute?  What's the best way to handle do you think?  It'snow on two reports.

Message 3 of 7
Scupra
Super Contributor

@apay wrote:

Should I call the collection company?  Formal dispute?  What's the best way to handle do you think?  It'snow on two reports.

I would try reaching out to the collection company first, sometimes this can be the easiest Smiley Happy If they don't want to play nice I would move onto a dispute with the CRA's. Hope that helps!

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Scupra wrote:

@apay wrote:

I would try reaching out to the collection company first, sometimes this can be the easiest Smiley Happy If they don't want to play nice I would move onto a dispute with the CRA's. Hope that helps!

^ Agree. I had a bill I didn't know about show up after discharge. I wrote the collection agency a short note and included a copy of my discharge and never heard anything about it again.

Message 5 of 7
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Scupra wrote:

@apay wrote:

^ Agree. I had a bill I didn't know about show up after discharge. I wrote the collection agency a short note and included a copy of my discharge and never heard anything about it again.

Almost the same thing for me. Random collection showed up, called them and provided lawyer/BK info and they told me they would have it fixed within a week.

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 6 of 7
apay
Valued Member

Thanks!  I called the collection company.  They asked for my bk info and lawyer name and said that's all they needed.  

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.