Did you mean: 

Help! We need a Truck - Ch. 7 was discharged last week

tag
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Help! We need a Truck - Ch. 7 was discharged last week

@christina35 wrote:

I ran this by my husband. In anyone's experience have you :

Purchased a car (with a not so prime rate) we're not looking for something fancy, just something for my husband to do his job in. Waited 6 months to build up credit and then trade it in for preferably a new truck and hopefully finance that through a credit union?

We hope to go to NFCU this weekend, open an account and ask about an unsecured card to begin building a relationship with them. 

As always thanks for any input. 

People do it all the time. You can also buy new and refinance. The only time it won't work is if you're too upside down on the loan and/or the depreciation on the trade in was too much.

Message 11 of 21
chosen4th
Contributor

Its so crazy how different Cap1 treats everyone.. ive been discharged almost a year and cannot get approved with them.. Finally just got a $500 platinum from them.. but i see some people get 1k right away.. dont understand them

Message 12 of 21
audio-disabled
Regular Contributor

@christina35 wrote:

That's awesome for you. I bet that was a relief. I checked Cap One this morning and got the 7-10 days letter in the mail message. 

I checked Carvana like someone suggested and it gave me 15.99% rate. I can't fathom doing that rate. 

Back to the drawing board. 

Have you heard back from CapOne yet?

If CapOne is not able to approve you, but you still need a truck or at least a vehicle, go with Carvana. Remember what I said, I started out with 22% interest rate, then refi'd in 7 months, my current rate is 13.3% now. 

If you get it at 16% rate, you could qualify for even lower rate when you refi with a local CU after 6 on time payments.

$5000 Barclay Apple Visa | $4500 CapitalOne Platinum | $6000 SL CapitalOne VentureOne | $10K SL PenFed Pathfinder | $3500 Wells Fargo Platinum | $9500 BECU Visa
Goals: Grow scores into 700s
Message 13 of 21
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Do you know what your scores are? At Toyota a 650 Fico will get you good rates, that is what I did after the discharge.

Message 14 of 21
christina35
Established Member

So I some how managed to end up on the Lending Tree website, entered my husbands information but then I think I messed up (my coworker was talking my ear off) But Capital One came back PRE Qualified. 

I put my husbands income in but in addition to that, I put his VA disability as well as my income vs my pay & the VA disability in the additional income sources field. 

Will that end up in him being denied once we send in our paystubs & va disability letter? 

Message 15 of 21
audio-disabled
Regular Contributor

@christina35 wrote:

So I some how managed to end up on the Lending Tree website, entered my husbands information but then I think I messed up (my coworker was talking my ear off) But Capital One came back PRE Qualified. 

I put my husbands income in but in addition to that, I put his VA disability as well as my income vs my pay & the VA disability in the additional income sources field. 

Will that end up in him being denied once we send in our paystubs & va disability letter? 

It's an income verification. You could be likely approved; no promises. I've read several posts here about income verification, but can't remember top off my head with the outcome on that.

$5000 Barclay Apple Visa | $4500 CapitalOne Platinum | $6000 SL CapitalOne VentureOne | $10K SL PenFed Pathfinder | $3500 Wells Fargo Platinum | $9500 BECU Visa
Goals: Grow scores into 700s
Message 16 of 21

I was approved with Carvana at a rate of 13.36 before discharged.

I was approved with RoadLoans (I went through lending tree) at rate of 16.00 before discharged.

I was approved with Cap1 at a rate of 8.63, 3 days after discharged. I went with Cap1
Message 17 of 21
lavonda
Valued Member

Have you checked into Caravan. I’ve seen that place online before. But I can’t tell you how the work. I’ve seen on Facebook were people get autos delivered to them.
Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU approved me for a secured CC approx 1 month after discharge (and only with them for a week or two).

For autoloan, I went to a Nissan Dealer and got a CPO sedan, was approved for a loan with Nissan Motor Finance at 13.5%. Not amazing, but the payment was in my budget, I was one month out of BK and I needed something badly. 

Plan to refinance with NFCU once I'm confident they will approve a loan (likely after the CC unsecures).

Edit to add: The only loan requirement with Nissan was that I not keep my other car which was surrendered in the BK but reported as still 'open' on my credit. There was no DP as I was completely broke post BK. 

Message 19 of 21
christina35
Established Member

Update: Capital One used my husbands income alone, He was approved at 7.2% and he drove a 2017 off the lot Saturday. 

Thanks everyone for your thoughts Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.