cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me start my rebuilding journey!

jovencita24

Help me start my rebuilding journey!

I have been reading the forums, but can't tell which direction I should go based on the banks that have been burned in my Chapter 7.

Included in the bankruptcy was Navy Federal, Captial One (credit card and car loan that I did not reaffirm, but they have yet to take the car back), Avant, a bunch of store cards, and some medical colletion accounts.  I am driving a vehicle that my significant other financed, but he needs a car now, so I can either finance his car to build up the car loan type of credit for me or I can refinance the car from him in my name.  

Where to I start for credit cards for rebuilding? My equifax score on credit karma jumped 95 points after the discharge hit (to 665) but transunion is still in the 500s. I do have student loans that I do not think were discharged, so that is my only account although it is currently reporting as a zero balance with zero due. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
jovencita24

Re: Help me start my rebuilding journey!

Also-

I haven't paid on the Captial One auto payment since May. I would like them to take the car if they are going to take it. Is there a way to expidite the process? It is a 2013 Durango-a nice car BUT it has some significant transmission and engine issues right now, so I don't know if it is worth much without a significant financial investment. 

Message 2 of 4
JAG73
Moderator Emerita

First, I want to establish that your federal student loans were not included in the BK. Keep your eyes open for notices on your repayment. 

Second, try some pre-approvals to see if you qualify for a card. I would only get one bc chances are you will only be approved for subprime cards at the moment or you may even have to go the secured route. OpenSky isn’t bad for a secured card and Merrick isn’t terrible for a starter subprime card. 

As for Cap1 and the car, I’m not sure. Maybe someone else with experience can add insight. 

Good luck to you! 

Got some pruning to do... No more new cards!
Message 3 of 4
FireMedic1
Super Contributor

Cap 1 is forgiving about a year out. Never seen both CC and auto though. @JAG73 posted some good ones just to get started. Open Sky secured. No HP. Merrick doubles your limit with responsible use after I think ts 7 months? Disco is about the same around a year. Thats when I got my 1st card. Gonna take a little while. Figure a year and a couple cards with responsible use. More will open up then. Good Luck!

My posts are JMHO. My siggy is not to brag at all. Just sharing my experiences after learning here from rebuild to recovery after BK DC @ 540's.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.