cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How am I doing? 4 post DC, 628 top score.

CornChipPaws
Established Member

How am I doing? 4 post DC, 628 top score.

I'm 4 months after discharge. Am I on track for a 700 credit score by next September you think? Any suggestions to help?? 

Equifax: 628

Transunion: 635

Experian: 603 (affirm took 6 loan accounts and reported them as 47 late discharged accounts 🙄🙄🙄)

$1,000 credit builder loan that's at $700 balance now 
CreditOne: $300 September

Ollo: $300 November 

Mission Lane: $1000 new for this month 

Only refinance interest offers are 20% to 30% though 😬 I have $10k equity in the car, too. 

I'm still pretty furious my attorney filled out my reaffirmation agreement WRONG with capital one for my car as I think that would have helped my credit. I think until I refinance they also consider that as a burn as they won't even give me a secure card. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: How am I doing? 4 post DC, 628 top score.

You have now whats needed to start a rebuild. Three cards and a loan. Wait it out for 6 months then try for the next card. Who got burned to lead in you in the right direction. Did you want to reaffirm and they didnt?

Homeowner since Sept 2020. 2021 Explorer ST Chase 3.1%. Sharing my experiences after BK from learning here. Started 540's.
Message 2 of 7
CornChipPaws
Established Member

Thank you. I signed with my attorney with the promise it would be no problem to reaffirm my car. $10k+ equity. I kept asking. I checked in again and he said he owed me the papers to sign. Sent me the papers and they were due TWO MONTHS prior. I signed it. It looked like he was missing items and I asked him. He said he'd update it but didn't. Sent it to capital one incorrectly filled out. They sent it back asking for him to just check a checkbox he forget. They emailed him a few times. The DAY I got my sign off he tried to send it to them but it was obviously too late. He accidentally CC'd me so I saw all of their replies, too. I found out from capital one that was OK he was two months late and they sent multiple attempts to get it corrected but he ignored them. They also provided me the history of their attempts. My attorney told me it was no big deal and it was the fault of my case closing "early" ---- it closed 3 weeks later than he originally estimated anyways. Completely insane. I would have had no problem with the court reaffirming my loan. I figured out the court contact and called her crying. She said it was too late because it had been filed already and my attorney knew a week before it was about to be filed. She felt really bad ... I would have been better off filing myself. 

there's my rant. Really sucks because I had a good interest rate with them, too. Hopefully I can get a good rate again if I can keep my rebuilding up. 

Message 3 of 7
CornChipPaws
Established Member

By the way my top score is now 648 🙂

Message 4 of 7
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@CornChipPaws 

Thats pretty good. Usually high 5's. This is how I did it. I went by scores. Got the 3 cards and had a auto loan already. Once I hit 700. Which opens up a whole lot of doors. Researched here. Applied. Approved. Here come the new account hits. Waited until 700 again. Rinsed and repeat. Eventually in a couple yrs. The base was 710's. Kept going. Took 6 yrs for below. It worked. My only denial was AMEX didnt like my new checking account when I hit 5yrs and 1 month. So I waited a year and then got in. Take time. Its a marathon and not a race. Use your scores in your favor. Maybe you can add Cap1 still. I'll ping @despritfreya a BK Attorney and see what can be done.

Homeowner since Sept 2020. 2021 Explorer ST Chase 3.1%. Sharing my experiences after BK from learning here. Started 540's.
Message 5 of 7
despritfreya
Frequent Contributor

I was asked to chime in on this but I am not sure I can add anything useful. 

The failure of the attorney to timely get the completed reaffirmation agreement back to the lender is unfortunate.  Having said that, as many of you know, my opinion is that reaffirming is not a good idea. Reaffirming for the purpose of getting the payment possibly reported on a credit report makes little sense to me.  Further, it is more likely than not that the judge would have denied the Motion to Approve the Agreement - at least that is my experience.

As to building up the credit, this is not something I can comment on.  I personally only use two credit cards - one for my vehicle and the other for everything else.  Each is paid within the grace period as I do not believe in paying interest to credit card companies.   I don't finance vehicles and the only financed debt I have is the mortgage for my home (with 9 years to go).  While one can call it just plain luck, I have never had a need to delve into building up credit therefore I have no experience in this area.  On a professional level, assisting a client with obtaining post bankruptcy credit is counter intuitive to what I do.  As it relates to improving a credit report after discharge, such is not part of our service.

Sorry I could not be of assistance.

Des.

Message 6 of 7
SweetCreditObsession
Valued Contributor

@CornChipPaws wrote:

Thank you. I signed with my attorney with the promise it would be no problem to reaffirm my car. $10k+ equity. I kept asking. I checked in again and he said he owed me the papers to sign. Sent me the papers and they were due TWO MONTHS prior. I signed it. It looked like he was missing items and I asked him. He said he'd update it but didn't. Sent it to capital one incorrectly filled out. They sent it back asking for him to just check a checkbox he forget. They emailed him a few times. The DAY I got my sign off he tried to send it to them but it was obviously too late. He accidentally CC'd me so I saw all of their replies, too. I found out from capital one that was OK he was two months late and they sent multiple attempts to get it corrected but he ignored them. They also provided me the history of their attempts. My attorney told me it was no big deal and it was the fault of my case closing "early" ---- it closed 3 weeks later than he originally estimated anyways. Completely insane. I would have had no problem with the court reaffirming my loan. I figured out the court contact and called her crying. She said it was too late because it had been filed already and my attorney knew a week before it was about to be filed. She felt really bad ... I would have been better off filing myself. 

there's my rant. Really sucks because I had a good interest rate with them, too. Hopefully I can get a good rate again if I can keep my rebuilding up. 

So sorry that this happened to you. It's a gamble whether or not you'll get an attorney who is ethical and treats you like a person rather than a payout. Hopefully this will be the LAST time that you find yourself needing to file BK and you never have to encounter such an incompetent attorney again.

(+102) | (+106) | (+151)
| TU Fico 9: ? | Exp Fico 9: ? | EQ Fico 9: ?| EQ Fico 8 Bankcard: 807

Initial Goal: Min. 740 w/all CRAs - Met
Next Goal: Amex BCE
Current Goal(s): Min. 780 w/all CRAs
Gardening Until: ??/??/202?| Last App: 7/21/2021

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.