cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How are 100% paid Chapter 13 cases without discharge reported?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How are 100% paid Chapter 13 cases without discharge reported?

I'm currently 17 months into a Ch13 case. The only accounts inside my case is my car and attorneys fees. I'm on 100% plan. I'm not eligible for a discharge for 4 years because I had Ch7 discharged right before my Ch13. I'm going to be able to finish my plan early. What happens when I finish paying for plan?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
coreyb80
Super Contributor

Re: What happens after finishing Chapter 13?

You can actually start your rebuild, with the permissions of the court, during your 13.  That's the route I took.  I started in 2016 and I'm currently scheduled to wrap it up by the end of this year.  

Message 2 of 8
mich800
Regular Contributor

Just out of curiosity. What would prompt a 13 after a chapter 7 discharge with no debt other than car?

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mich800 wrote:

Just out of curiosity. What would prompt a 13 after a chapter 7 discharge with no debt other than car?

Wanted to keep my car and I wasn't aware of any other options at the time. I'm now aware that I could have redeemed or keep paying my loan regularly but it's too late to change that now. I just want to get out 

this as soon as I can and move forward. 

Message 4 of 8
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@mich800 wrote:

Wanted to keep my car and I wasn't aware of any other options at the time. I'm now aware that I could have redeemed or keep paying my loan regularly but it's too late to change that now. I just want to get out 

So are you going for a voluntary dismissal?

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Horseshoez wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mich800 wrote:

So are you going for a voluntary dismissal?

No, that would do more harm a than good in my situation. I'm looking into options to pay my plan off early.

Message 6 of 8
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: How are 100% paid Chapter 13 cases without discharge reported?

That is a question I have never seen asked before so no clue on an answer, my first instinct is to say "ask your lawyer"

I will page @despritfreya I am sure he knows. 

Message 7 of 8
despritfreya
Frequent Contributor

Re: How are 100% paid Chapter 13 cases without discharge reported?

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm currently 17 months into a Ch13 case. . . I'm on 100% plan. I'm not eligible for a discharge. . . because I had Ch7 discharged right before my Ch13. . . What happens when I finish paying for plan?

OP is doing what, we in the trade, call a “Chapter 20”. Since there will not be a discharge, upon completion of the Plan (even if completed early) there should be a notice filed by the Trustee that Plan payments have been completed, along with a final accounting. This will take a bit of time after OP makes the last payment. The Trustee has to wait until he has distributed the funds and all checks have cleared. Once the final accounting is filed, the Clerk of the Court should close the case without the entry of a discharge.

I do not know how such cases are reported to credit bureaus.

Des.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.