Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long after bankruptcy

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long after bankruptcy

Hello,
How long after bankruptcy should i wait to apply for a decent credit card?
My bankruptcy was discharged in March of 18.
I have applied and got approved for the indigo card 300 limit aling with Cerulean card with a 750.00 limit. Alos opened a fingerhut account with a 600 limit and bought one item paid it off in one month and they doubled it to 1200. When should i apply for a decent card with a decent limit? I know it takes time to rebuild and i dont want a lot inquires on my Report. Besides these 3 where shouldi look. I have got offers for pay 89.00 cards but did not act on them. Score before Bankruptcy was 598 now its at 604. Thanks
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How long after bankruptcy

Hi, I filed BK7 in June 2017 and discharged Sep. 2017. Beginning 2018 I had an unsecured CreditOne card (not Capital One) and two secured cards (sub-prime). I applied and was approved for Capital One Platnium in June 2018 with $300 limit. I recently applied and approved for Capital One Quicksilver with $300, just got the card today in mail. So generally, you should be approved for Capital One either one year after filing OR discharging from BK7. From my experience, it's one year after filing, which coincidentally is also one year after the Capital One chargeoff when I burned them in BK7. I don't have experience with other companies. My FAKO is upper 500/lower 600. Not sure of my FICO, but around 550 I think. YMMV

Message 2 of 11
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

stay away from any more predator cards.

stay away from store cards you won't use often and receive great rewards.

Check Cap One prequalifications.  I got a $3k unsecured card right after BK.

Check Discover prequalification.  They are BK friendly (may need to wait a year)

Check Merrick prequalification.  I got $1800 and never paid a penny in fees or interest.

Those 3 prequals are solid.

You do not need to open any more predator cards.

Time will help.  Within a year, you might have 2-3 non pred cards.

YMMV.

GL!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is that a year after discharge or filing?
Message 4 of 11
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

File date. That starts all of the process. Discharge is just part of the filing date.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

We burned Cap 1 for a couple hundred dollars and got back in via the credit steps a month or 2 after discharge. You can always check their prequalified site. I am now gardening (fingers crossed). I discharged in June 2018 and filed March 2018. A friend of mine told me secured cards are good after Bk. I don’t have any but may get 1
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried the cap one secured card and got declined.not sure whu have not got a letter yet. Scores are 598-634 Pretty sad cant get a card with my own money
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I feel the same way you do
Message 8 of 11
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Cap One is very forgiving and can be very generous.

Time will help.

I burned them 5 years ago.

Look at my signature.

YMMV.  GL!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 9 of 11
MP15_556
New Contributor

I got approved for Cap One Platinum with a $3K limit yesterday. Chapter 13 plan is complete. (Received notice from trustee of plan completion, although plan is still pending final trustees audit.)
So I have been not been discharged yet, and I burned Cap One in the BK.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.