Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to join NCFU and rebuild as a civilian the right way

tag
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

Re: How to join NCFU and rebuild as a civilian the right way

@Anonymous wrote:

So I went into the branch close to my job on lunch and as soon as I told the greeter I wanted to start a membership through the NLUS,  she was like "NO" and immediately tried to give the military/family  only speech.  I POLITELY advised her on how it was possible with the NLUS San Diego chapter and she had me wait while she researched it. After a while, she came back and apologized for the misinformation,and  said they couldn't do it at the branch, and that I would need to call or send in the app. This branch is in the North Atlanta area btw. I guess it's a YMMV thing in the branch, so I just came  back to work and just faxed everything in. Now just waiting to here back. 

Amberlina202,

i'm sorry went through that. When I joined NFCU, I went to a SC branch and the lady knew exactly how to add a member joining through an association. She had to call Navy Federal's help desk. I think that's where the problem. When she called, we waited for 15 minutes, then opened all my accounts. She scanned my ID's and kept a copy of the email.

Take a deep breath, this is just a set back. Once you get your membership approved, you will be set.

Guyatthebeach

Message 61 of 527
Scupra
Super Contributor

Kobe, someone thought that at one point but it was wrong.
Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 62 of 527
kobe2012
Established Contributor

Ah.. Thank you Scupra... I'm hoping I could get in... Anyone tried emailing their app? Or faxing is faster?

Starting Score: MYFICO 12/30/15 -TU: 481, EQ:561, EX:532 - BK7 DISCHARGED 12/2015 - Current: 09/01/2016 TU:642 EQ: 651 EX: 646
NFCU cashRewards:$6200 QS:$1500 Merrick:$1200 Cabelas:$1000 SonyVisa: $500 JCrew:$850 Overstock:$850 Express: $1050 PaypalCredit:$2150 NAVCHECK:$10K
Message 63 of 527
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Scupra wrote:

WOW! So sorry, sounds like you got a bad rep that didn't want to help. That's unfortunate as I've yet to have a bad experience with NFCU.

Thanks @Scupra, yeah, I'm not quite sure what her problem was. Maybe this branch has had a lot of people come in that didn't qualify for membership possibly? Its a pretty busty area. After she realized she was wrong, she seemed really apologetic. I'm sure there are PLENTY of active/retired Navy that would have given her the business if she'd tried it with them. But I figure you catch more flies with honey than vinagar, so I'm going to take the experience with a grain of salt Smiley Wink

Message 64 of 527
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Guyatthebeach wrote:

Amberlina202,

i'm sorry went through that. When I joined NFCU, I went to a SC branch and the lady knew exactly how to add a member joining through an association. She had to call Navy Federal's help desk. I think that's where the problem. When she called, we waited for 15 minutes, then opened all my accounts. She scanned my ID's and kept a copy of the email.

Take a deep breath, this is just a set back. Once you get your membership approved, you will be set.

Guyatthebeach

Thanks, 

Message 65 of 527
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Scupra wrote:

WOW! So sorry, sounds like you got a bad rep that didn't want to help. That's unfortunate as I've yet to have a bad experience with NFCU.

Thanks @Scupra, yeah, I'm not quite sure what her problem was. Maybe this branch has had a lot of people come in that didn't qualify for membership possibly? Its a pretty busty area. After she realized she was wrong, she seemed really apologetic. I'm sure there are PLENTY of active/retired Navy that would have given her the business if she'd tried it with them. But I figure you catch more flies with honey than vinagar, so I'm going to take the experience with a grain of salt Smiley Wink

It looks to me that NFCU is putting an extra layer of security verification into joining the CU given the number of people joining through the Navy League association.

I still think the rewards are worth the effort.

I'm still waiting to see the impact on my FICO scores when the new accounts from Navy Federal and PENFED show up on my CR.

Guyatthebeach

Message 66 of 527
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Guyatthebeach wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Scupra wrote:

It looks to me that NFCU is putting an extra layer of security verification into joining the CU given the number of people joining through the Navy League association.

I'm still waiting to see the impact on my FICO scores when the new accounts from Navy Federal and PENFED show up on my CR.

Guyatthebeach

Seems like more apps are going to review as well lol! 

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 67 of 527
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

@Scupra wrote:

@Guyatthebeach wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Scupra wrote:

Guyatthebeach

Seems like more apps are going to review as well lol! 

That's very true Scupra. It looks like Navy Federal is closely analayzing the new membership applications to see the data points and where this trend is coming from.

I do have to say I'm really impressed with everything I've seen so far with both credit unions.

Message 68 of 527
BizyBee

Sent my docs late 6/28 and received my membership info tonight. Thanks for all the help. 

Message 69 of 527
kobe2012
Established Contributor

Am still waiting anxiously .. I emaile my docs past midnight last night and called today and still nothing.. The rep said they have received thousands of applications recently and is sort of behind... Fingers crossed

Starting Score: MYFICO 12/30/15 -TU: 481, EQ:561, EX:532 - BK7 DISCHARGED 12/2015 - Current: 09/01/2016 TU:642 EQ: 651 EX: 646
NFCU cashRewards:$6200 QS:$1500 Merrick:$1200 Cabelas:$1000 SonyVisa: $500 JCrew:$850 Overstock:$850 Express: $1050 PaypalCredit:$2150 NAVCHECK:$10K
Message 70 of 527
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.