cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm still a NFCU member 1 yr post BK-- What??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm still a NFCU member 1 yr post BK-- What??

Hello everyone!  I'm a long time lurker, but I just had to post this to see if anyone else has heard about NFCU possibly changing any policies/actions toward account holders post BK.  I found out yesterday that I'm still a member which is crazy to me.  This is long... please bear with me.

I filed CH 7 BK last year and I was discharged in July 2015.  I was a member of NFCU for almost 10 years and burned them in BK for a credit card and an auto loan for a vehicle that needed the engine replaced.  This might be the key to the rest of my post:  My savings account had a zero balance at the time of filing, in good standing.  The amounts included in BK were not too large at all, but it was alot for me on my income.  I read that people could get back in by paying off amounts included in bankruptcy, but I shifted my focus to start an emergency savings account elsewhere instead.

It just dawned on me yesterday that I keep getting monthly emails about my statements.  I figured they just forgot to take me out of the system to receive emails or something.. who knows.  I logged in to NFCU to see if I might be able to print an old statement from 2014 and I noticed my savings account was right there on the screen with a $0 available balance with the $5 required to keep it open.  The other accounts included in BK were completely gone, but the savings was showing. 

You bet I sent them a secure message and called them twice to try to figure out the status of my account/membership. Here are my 3 responses from customer service and the bankruptcy department:

Customer Service Rep phone response:  "Yes it looks as though your savings account is still open, but it's dormant because it hasn't been used in over a year."  I asked if any deposited funds would be taken from me if I began using the account again and I got, "No, it's completely safe to use."  I also asked if I could use other NFCU products or if I'm blacklisted from the types of products that I included in bankruptcy and he said, "You might be eligible for other lending products.  You might have to pay the amount you included in bankruptcy first." 

Secure Message response: "Thank you for your eMessage, Ms. XXXX. Your savings account is still active and you may use it if you wish to do so. No funds in your savings account will be transferred to pay toward the loss accounts. Your loan and credit card were discharged through your bankruptcy, so you are no longer responsible for pay back those accounts. If you have any other questions or concerns, call our Bankruptcy Department at 1-800-336-3767"

Bankruptcy Department response:  "Yes you still have a membership so you're welcome to apply for anything else."  I explained that I thought they normally blacklisted BK filers and she said, "No you are still a member and you can apply for whatever you want."  That was a very short convo to say the least.

Ok so the BK dept's response goes against anything I've ever read about NFCU!  Maybe there are some volunteers out there who wouldn't mind checking to see if we are getting the same responses?  I want to believe the BK Dept has more knowledge about this than Customer Service.  I understand I can't expect too much because I did burn them, but if there's a chance, there's a chance.  I just don't want to risk a hard pull yikes.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
mynameainttracy
Established Contributor

Re: I'm still a NFCU member 1 yr post BK-- What??

We burned USAA 9 years ago. Our membership was always there and we got savings and checking statements every month since we filed. That doesn't mean they will loan us money or even give us online privileges again but there is nothing to stop us from trying. NFCU is probably the same way. And they might require you to repay what you burned them on. All you can do is try! 

Message 2 of 12
kjm79
Valued Contributor

The BK department is right, you are still a member and can apply for whatever you. It doesn't mean they will approve you though. The first CSR nailed it. There are threads on the forum about getting back in with NFCU after the member paid back what was discharged through BK. 

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup we had a 25,000 credit card loan with them when we filed. We were still able to keep our accounts but not have internet banking until the bankruptcy discharged. 

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also I just tried to see if I could get another credit card through them but was declined. Its been 2 months since chapter 7 discharge and my score is 534.

Message 5 of 12
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Also I just tried to see if I could get another credit card through them but was declined. Its been 2 months since chapter 7 discharge and my score is 534.

Did you speak with someone before applying? I would check to make sure they are even considering the app before wasting anymore HP's.

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for your replies.  I haven't tried to apply for any credit, but I did try to set up the NFCU savings account as an external transfer account for my other bank.  The NFCU account accepted the temporary deposits but immediately kicked them back because it's not a "transactional account."   I don't believe it's due to BK, but I could be wrong.  I've never had that problem with any of my savings accounts at other banks, so it seems as though I would need to have a checking account at NFCU for ACH transactions.  I definitely don't want to risk a hard pull apping for a checking account or anything else after burning them.  I'm going to go with what everyone has mentioned on the boards and move on.  I did just get in with a local CU and got a surprising rate for an auto loan that I needed.  Losing NFCU sucks, but it's not the end of the world and there are still great options out there Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

So wait i rhink im miss understanding , you filed for bk to have a debt discharged , but in order to get back in with creditor you have to pay a ddbt that was discharge? Doesnt that open the door for everyone else to do that and defeat the pupose of bankruptcy in the first place ? What i am missing , not a memeber yet with NFCU and was considering it but now i dont know
Message 8 of 12
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you all for your replies.  I haven't tried to apply for any credit, but I did try to set up the NFCU savings account as an external transfer account for my other bank.  The NFCU account accepted the temporary deposits but immediately kicked them back because it's not a "transactional account."   I don't believe it's due to BK, but I could be wrong.  I've never had that problem with any of my savings accounts at other banks, so it seems as though I would need to have a checking account at NFCU for ACH transactions.  I definitely don't want to risk a hard pull apping for a checking account or anything else after burning them.  I'm going to go with what everyone has mentioned on the boards and move on.  I did just get in with a local CU and got a surprising rate for an auto loan that I needed.  Losing NFCU sucks, but it's not the end of the world and there are still great options out there Smiley Happy

Not the BK.. I got the same messgae when I tried to ACH money from NFCU savings to NASA savings Smiley Happy NFCU called me to tell me they were letting it go through once but not again.

801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 9 of 12
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
So wait i rhink im miss understanding , you filed for bk to have a debt discharged , but in order to get back in with creditor you have to pay a ddbt that was discharge? Doesnt that open the door for everyone else to do that and defeat the pupose of bankruptcy in the first place ? What i am missing , not a memeber yet with NFCU and was considering it but now i dont know

Not ALL creditors.. If you burn NFCU and you want back in, you will need to pay back the balance in full.

801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.