cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need help on if I should take a higher paying job or lower paying job after filling chapter 7

tag
NRSGA22

I need help on if I should take a higher paying job or lower paying job after filling chapter 7

So I have about $84K in debt, I can discharge about $37K ( the rest is my car and student loans). 

I am about to graduate my LPN program in a few weeks. I'll take the boards about a month later. Now I can't predict how this will go but I'm hoping for a pass. My goal is to then work for 6 months and start the RN transition program. The job I want to accept for those 6 months in between would pay significantly higher than my state's median if you average it out.  

Would this be a problem if I got my license and my job started after the 341 meeting? Or should I accept a job that pays below the median to be safe? I don't think the increase in income for a few months is worth my case being thrown out or doing a chapter 13 especially since it's such a new job I can't count on it being a stable income source long term. And I plan to go back to school within the year. 

I have a meeting with my attorneys to file next week and I'm nervous and feel like I ask them too many questions. 

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Re: I need help on if I should take a higher paying job or lower paying job after filling chapter 7

If you pay your attorney, you are not asking too many questions.

Median pay is not only factor.

Its all based on how much is left over to pay debt after reasonable expenses.

GL!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 2 of 14
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Re: I need help on if I should take a higher paying job or lower paying job after filling chapter 7

Are you really sure you even need to do BK for $37k if you can get a great job?

You should be able to negotiate balance reductions for credit cards for 20-60% of the current balances.

Yes, it will ruin your credit but its not a BK.

So for like $20K you may be able to avoid a BK.

Just my thoughts...

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 3 of 14
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

If the BK is absolutely the last resort. You can hold off on the higher pay. Once filed. Your good. I took no overtime and did no time at my 2nd job for 6 months. Once filed. Back to the usual workaholic.

Message 4 of 14
NRSGA22

While upfront it sounds like only $37K, I have $84K in total debt. Most of the debt is not credit card debt, i can not negotiate it down i have already tried that. Its a mix of medical bills, left over balance on car reposession and a balnce to my old apartmnet complex and some other random things thrown in. 

Also the job is not stable enough for me to commit to a payment plan. Nursing has a high turnover and while i want to try my best, i am a new graduate I'm trying the job just to see if i can handle it, if not i'll be forced to move to a lower stress/lower paying role. Also a large part of the salary is unguranteed bounses. 

I plan to go back to school once I get my license which will reduce my salary and hours again. a 3-5 year repayment doesn't sound feasible for me. i'm trying to save to move to a safer area and bigger apartment, my expenses are low because they have to be. I'm 27 and I don't want to wait until I am in my 30s to be able to afford to have children. Overall I've weighed the pros and cons and if i worked to pay off my debt I would not be in a better place financially in 3 years than i would be if i filed. i just feel confused on if It would be a red flag to have a higher paying job suddenly a month after filling?

Message 5 of 14
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Well my PT job is ER Medic. So I know what RN's do and can make. Stay out of the ER if stress isnt for you. Other positions can pay up to $50 an hr. Med/Surg, OB, ect. Contract work can if in the right place can gross 3-5k a week. So get your RN. Make the money. Get finances in order. Move. Then continue to get your BSN if thats what your after. JMO.

Message 6 of 14
NRSGA22

I won't be an RN for 2 years atleast. starting salary for RNs at hospitals in my area is about $30hr. I'm planning to work as an LPN in LTC starting in 2 months for $28 hr. My other options for doctors offices and home health pay about $21 hr. I can't ignore my debt for 2 years while I'm in school, waiing this out is not an option when i'm facing lawsuits and mounting fees. I have to pay to get my wisdom teeth out, Health insurance, I have been putting my health off for years due to lack of money. 

Message 7 of 14
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@NRSGA22 wrote:

I won't be an RN for 2 years atleast. starting salary for RNs at hospitals in my area is about $30hr. I'm planning to work as an LPN in LTC starting in 2 months for $28 hr. My other options for doctors offices and home health pay about $21 hr. I can't ignore my debt for 2 years while I'm in school, waiing this out is not an option when i'm facing lawsuits and mounting fees. I have to pay to get my wisdom teeth out, Health insurance, I have been putting my health off for years due to lack of money. 

I greatly doubt this applies to your job, but I will state this just for general info for anyone considering filing BK. I have filed twice in my lifetime, so do not take this as being a discouragement to those who need to file. Just be aware, some employers now do a credit check, and a BK on the credit report might result in a failure to get a desired job. It would, I think, be mainly in fields where the applicant is responsible for handling a companies or clients financial assets, or security type jobs, but it is something that should be considered. I rarely see this concern even acknowledged. To file, or not file should always be a carefully made decision, based on all available knowledge of any ramifications.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 8 of 14
FLLGuy
Frequent Contributor

@sarge12  - is correct, at my place of employment (Software Company) depending your role credit checks are part of the onboarding process.  A few samples, if you're in customer service or software development (no credit check), But if you're sales or managing national/global accounts (yes credit check) since the role is customer facing travel is expected which means business credit card and managing expenses.  Non-customer facing roles like directors and above will do credit checks depending on the role if involved in departmental budget planning and revenue.  Some employers as part of their background checks will also look at credit to see if you're as responsible in your personal life - how it's used for hiring decisions is different for all.

Not sure in healthcare if this happens, maybe it does at the administrative levels or leadership roles.  

Message 9 of 14
MileHigh96
Frequent Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

If the BK is absolutely the last resort. You can hold off on the higher pay. Once filed. Your good. I took no overtime and did no time at my 2nd job for 6 months. Once filed. Back to the usual workaholic.

This is exactly what I had to do as well under the advice of my attorney.  With asll the OT I was working, that put me in the position of making too much money.  So I had to stop working OT for several months before filing and when my lawyer said I was now below the median threshhold, we filed, and then after I was discharged I was free to going back and working OT.

BK7 discharged - 06JUL2021
Loans:

Revolving Accounts (in the order they were opened):

Closed accounts:
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.