Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IF YOU FILE BK AND DON'T INCLUDE AN ACCOUNT, CAN THEY REPORT INCLUDED IN BK

tag
flivai
Established Member

IF YOU FILE BK AND DON'T INCLUDE AN ACCOUNT, CAN THEY REPORT INCLUDED IN BK

I filed bk and had an account with a zero balance that I never used. I did not include the account in my bankruptcy as there was no need to. Now they are reporting included in Bk. Can they do this?

Equifax - 683
Transunion - 632
Experian - 675
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

Re: IF YOU FILE BK AND DON'T INCLUDE AN ACCOUNT, CAN THEY REPORT INCLUDED IN BK

Hi,

I had this exact same thing happen - it was with GE Capital.  I had several accounts through them (Toys R Us, Care Credit, Lowes Consumer) that were includied in my BK and had a balance.  I also had two that had zero balances as not included (HHGregg and Amazon).  I think it is an automatic system that just marks them as IIB from the OC end.  I disputed them with the CBs and attached a copy of my schedule of creditors.  It was removed and original TLs put back on within two weeks.

Suggest you do the same.

BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 2 of 7
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@flivai wrote:

I filed bk and had an account with a zero balance that I never used. I did not include the account in my bankruptcy as there was no need to. Now they are reporting included in Bk. Can they do this?

Some have posted here that their zero-balance accounts remained active after bankruptcy discharge. Mine, like yours, did not. Once the creditor becomes aware of your bankruptcy filing, then they may or may not choose to close your account. According to my bankruptcy, ALL credit and asset accounts are "included" in bankruptcy process. For example, even if your balance was not zero and you forgot to list an account, it is still "included".

Message 3 of 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@ezdriver wrote:

@flivai wrote:

Some have posted here that their zero-balance accounts remained active after bankruptcy discharge. Mine, like yours, did not. Once the creditor becomes aware of your bankruptcy filing, then they may or may not choose to close your account. According to my bankruptcy, ALL credit and asset accounts are "included" in bankruptcy process. For example, even if your balance was not zero and you forgot to list an account, it is still "included".

^^^Exactly.

That's why I suggest closing zero balance accounts prior to filing (closed by consumer). Then you don't have to worry about the TL being marked iib and the possiblity exists to open another account with that particular creditor at a future date after you are discharged.

As EZ points out: you can't cherry pick the items in your BK. All of the tradelines have to be listed when you file.

Message 4 of 7
flivai
Established Member

Thank you guys so much. It sucks that I got that account as IIB. Any recommedations on trying to get it deleted?

Equifax - 683
Transunion - 632
Experian - 675
Message 5 of 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

If the account is an older account, don't delete it.

Message 6 of 7
flivai
Established Member

It was pretty much a brand new account when I filed BK. Maybe 2 months old.

Equifax - 683
Transunion - 632
Experian - 675
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.