Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identity theft after CH 7 Help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Identity theft after CH 7 Help

I've been following the Ch 7 to 700 in 24 months post.  My Ch 7 was discharged 14 months ago. 

Current MyFico scores: 

EQ 638

TU 610

EX 632

I have one collection on my credit report from 5 years ago.  It was a paid medical collection (I paid it 4 years before I filed BK) that didn't fall off after BK.  I don't really know if it was suppose to since I paid it long before I filed.  

Currently, I have a $700 limit on Credit One Bank card (it's a the 6 month mark) - only use for MyFico $29.95 fee each month; no other charges ever been made on the card. 

I also have a Kohl's card that has a $700 limit that I had before I filed BK.  The balance was zero at the time of BK and I just recently started making small purchases on it.  Never more than 10% charged on the card. 

I have a vehicle loan through my Credit Union (acquired loan in December of last year).  This was a need, so it was a necessary purchase.

Here's my problem...it's time for me to graduate from the Credit One card to Capital One.  My identity was stolen two months ago, and someone applied for a credit card in my name ($500 limit on a Comenity Bank with a little over $200 charged on the card) .  I filed all the necessary documents and it has been completely removed from my credit report.  I had a security freeze put on my reports.  I had the freeze lifted and I applied for Capital One platinum last night.  I got this message: "We are in the process of reviewing your application.  This is a standard step in our application process and we'll be in touch shortly with more information.  Thanks for choosing Capital One!"   Does this sound like it's going to be an automatic denial.  I don't know if I should call them or wait and see what happens.  

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Identity theft after CH 7 Help

Security freezes flag it and they have to call and verify your identity before they can approve credit. That is something they manually have to do so you will never get auto approvals with that kind of flag on your credit.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Security freezes flag it and they have to call and verify your identity before they can approve credit. That is something they manually have to do so you will never get auto approvals with that kind of flag on your credit.

Thank you for responding; however, the security freeze had been removed across all bureaus before I applied.  I'm actually on hold with them right now!  No one has called and it's been six days since I applied.  Fingers crossed! Smiley Happy 

Message 3 of 6
MyDataMyChoice
Valued Contributor

sounds like verification

if you had something BLOCKED / removed due to ID Theft/Fraud there is most likely a FRAUD alert on your credit. This will cause verification

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, I called Capital One and was approved for $3k. I also applied for my final card, Discover It Chrome and was approved for $500. Thanks for your help it was all verification that they needed.
Message 5 of 6
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Congrats on your new cards! Everybody else explained your situation. Now you know why. Enjoy your cards and say later Crapit One!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.