Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incurring Taxes During BK13?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Incurring Taxes During BK13?

Happy New Year to all!

I used one of those online tools to see if I would owe taxes this year, even thought my withholding are at 0, and I believe I will. What happens since I am in active BK13? 

Any and all guidance is appreciated. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
despritfreya
Frequent Contributor

Re: Incurring Taxes During BK13?

@AnonymousI used one of those online tools to see if I would owe taxes this year, even thought my withholding are at 0, and I believe I will. What happens since I am in active BK13?

Depending upon the amount:

1. Pay it when you file the return.

2. Enter into an installment agreement with the taxing agency when you file the return.

3. Discuss with your attorney waiving a few Plan payments so that you can pay it.  Plan payments will have to be made up.

4. Discuss with your attorney adding the tax to the Plan as a "1305 claim".

If the amount owed is under a $1000 my recommendation is to figure out, between now and April 15th, how you will pay it when you file the return - start saving.  All other options will cost you in interest and probably legal fees.

Des.

Message 2 of 3
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

Re: Incurring Taxes During BK13?

@Anonymous wrote:

Happy New Year to all!

I used one of those online tools to see if I would owe taxes this year, even thought my withholding are at 0, and I believe I will. What happens since I am in active BK13? 

Any and all guidance is appreciated. 

During the bankrupcy process the IRS and State tax authorities cant ask you to pay any taxes. however after discharge they can come after you like gangbusters. Both the IRS and most states are pretty friendly if you contact them by phone and will set up a payment plan with you.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.