Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is BK inevitable?

tag
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: Is BK inevitable?

I paid &1700 incuding filing fees here in Florida.

Message 11 of 17
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

I paid $2500 for Ch 13. My previous vehicle was outside of the plan and I continued to make payments.

My attorney told me I didn't qualify for Ch 7. Whether or not that was the truth I'll never know... But he was a solo practitioner with a very good reputation.

Here we are 5 1/2 years later and I am happy with how things have turned out. I may have spent 4 years paying for everything in cash but the experience had helped me be much better at managing my finances... and all the IIB accounts and public record fall off my reports in 2016 rather than 2019.

Rebuilding has been super easy too... Much less difficult than what I've read from Ch 7 filers.
FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 12 of 17
SFernandez13461
Frequent Contributor

Thanks. While I don't want to get ripped off, I would rather pay more and feel like I'm in good hands. My husband on the other hand wants to go with the cheapest option. But I've finally persuaded him that we need help, so at least we're moving in the right direction. 

I know I shouldn't rush to select an attorney either, but I have to admit I'm not sure how to proceed without one. I've very stupidly kept up the payments even though doing so meant there was nothing left and I had to keep using my credit cards. So far I've been advised to stop making payments asap but only once I have an attorney, and I'm days away from payments being due. I'm really feeling desperate to get the ball rolling. 

EX 695, EQ 703, TU 681 (1/17)
Message 13 of 17
barbaralee
Established Contributor

If you are planning on filing BK, and for sure you know that is what you are going to do then STOP MAKING YOUR PAYMENTS NOW. You would be throwing money away. Use that money for your family, or you mortgage. But if you know you are going to charge those credit cards off, than don't pay them.

Message 14 of 17
SFernandez13461
Frequent Contributor

I have no doubt I'm filing, and I'm thinking I should stop making payments. But I'm concerned because if I can't convince my husband to get on board relatively quickly we'll soon be at risk of being sued. From what I've read it seems they don't wait very long to take legal action anymore, and I don't want to add a judgment or wage garnishment to our long list of troubles. I think we should just file and get it over with. He would prefer I handle it myself or find the cheapest help available. I hope we can get on the same page.
Thanks. I don't think I'll keep throwing the money away. I'm going to need it to pay the attorney and file, hopefully very soon.

Message 15 of 17
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

You get what you pay for... You have enough stress. Find the right attorney and let them handle it... You'll sleep better. I know I did.
FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 16 of 17
SFernandez13461
Frequent Contributor

Thanks. I'm going to try to get the ball rolling tomorrow if I can get an appointment with the attorney. I just want this to be behind us.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.