Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is bankruptcy record public?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is bankruptcy record public?

Background:  My husband filed for bankruptcy ch.13 early of 2007 and we married afterward.  I didn't know about his bankruptcy prior to our wedding.  Anyways, I didn't take it as anything bad against our marriage eventho it gives us hardtimes thruout these years.  Yet, my husband values privacy so much and we both know he prefers me not tell this to anyone about his BK which is fine with me. I respect that and don't feel like it's a heavy responsibility to keep it secret.  Recently, his BK was completed and we expect it to be removed from his CR by this time next year. 

Today I was asked by a friend that " Did your husband ever file for bankruptcy?"  The face of her looked a little suspicious as if she knew it for sure. I refused even if I know it's the truth.  I could have confessed to her if my friend is mature enough to handle things.  And I have been keeping it away for years and soon it's going to be over, why should I bring it up.  That's what I think.

What I was wondering is that, Is bankruptcy record public?  Beside employers and lenders, can anyone else find out if a person is bankrupt or not?.  Personally I don't mind if people know about it, I would just doubt what type of person she is.  If she really knows about this, why she gave such an effort to seek for bad stuff about me and my hub.  By the way, my husband and I have been managing our money well after filing.  Due to BK we don't borrow, we live on cash. We never ask anyone for a penny.  We prefer eating leass better than bothering people.

I am new here, apologize if I run on too much.

Thank you very much Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
starry1
Valued Contributor

Re: Is bankruptcy record public?

Yes. Anyone can go on Pacer and see it. The bigger question is, why is this "friend" snooping on your husband?

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I really have no idea, I was a quite surprised to get asked like that because I never ask people with personal questions like that as well.

I think it's just about women, I as a woman never understand another woman too.  Anyway, I am not thinking too much about the friend.

I just want to know if the bk info is public or not.  Then puzzle will be done. (smile)

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Correct you can see the BK on PACER, but not for free, you have to pay to see it.

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Catbird1

So if they are willing to pay, then anyone can just search for the person's name without any other important information? like DOB, SSN, Address and such?

Well, I can live with it (smile)

Message 5 of 16
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Yes, anyone can search for it on PACER (dot) org and all they need is a name. Anyone can search throughout the country.

It only costs ten cents a page to down load the file. Some jurisdictions publish people that have filed BK in the newspaper. Especially if that person is well known in the community. But others publish each one that has filed, especially in small towns.

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much Startingover10, I appreciate your answer

Message 7 of 16
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Yep. Anyone can pay to use pacer to look up a bankruptcy just by searching by name. I just went to www.pacer.gov last night to pull some of my own Ch 13 records off of there for the underwriter. And I saw the records of random people in my search that also Ch 13 in 2005 and if I wanted to pay for their records, I could have and downloaded their paperwork...it is as public as it gets. The cost is 0.10 per page found in your search and they bill your credit card quarterly for the charges. It cost me $5.00 to find my records and download them.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much for your answer Movingforward Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 16
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Sure! No problem at all. :-)
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.