cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is being denied Ch.7, and then put into a Ch.13 36 mo plan, such a bad thing?

tag
twono
Frequent Contributor

Is being denied Ch.7, and then put into a Ch.13 36 mo plan, such a bad thing?

I was told, if you are borderline but fall below the  Ch.7  median income test, and the trustee feels that some debt can be repaid, they can put you in a Ch. 13 36 mo payment plan?  Does that sound right?  I heard it from one of the attorneys yesterday.

If they can push you into a 13, is that so bad?  That's far better than a 60 mo plan, and you can still keep your 'stuff'?  

Is a tax bill included in a Ch 13, 36 mo plan just like a 60 mo plan?  The 7 will leave me with a rather large tax bill.

No home or real estate involved, if that helps your comments any.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Shann0n_marie
Frequent Contributor

Re: Is being denied Ch.7, and then put into a Ch.13 36 mo plan, such a bad thing?

I don’t have the answer to your question but I’m curious in regards to your comment about Ch 7 would leave you with a rather large tax bill? The IRS code 108 exclude the discharge of debt from its definition of taxable income...
2/8/19 - CH 7 BK filed
5/15/19 -Discharged
Scores at Discharge: 550 EQ 471 TU 509 EXP (Last Updated 5/11)
5/16/19 - Rebuild Started - App'ed for Credit One - Approved for $2,000 starting line! (Increased to $2200 the following month)
6/7/19 - 606 EQ 544 TU 566 EXP - New CC reported w/ $75 Balance
12/10/19 - 616 EQ 581 TU 592 EXP

8/28/2021 - 698 EQ 670 TU 674EXP
Message 2 of 5
twono
Frequent Contributor

Re: Is being denied Ch.7, and then put into a Ch.13 36 mo plan, such a bad thing?

@Shann0n_marie wrote:
I don’t have the answer to your question but I’m curious in regards to your comment about Ch 7 would leave you with a rather large tax bill? The IRS code 108 exclude the discharge of debt from its definition of taxable income...

Not sure i understand your question as well....Smiley Happy 

If you owe taxes and file Ch. 13, it is my understanding that the taxes owed will be calculated into the repayment plain.  

In a Ch. 7, i thought unpaid taxes were not discharged and you would still owe any unpaid taxes after a Ch. 7 discharge?

Message 3 of 5
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

You can have back taxes wiped out in a 7. Not in a 13. Its the only reason why I filed BK. 13 yrs caught up with me and had no other choice. I was no assest so the lein was released. And it was so old. It fell off my reports soon after.

You can discharge (wipe out) debts for federal income taxes in Chapter 7 bankruptcy only if all of the following conditions are true:

• The taxes are income taxes. Taxes other than income, such as payroll taxes or fraud penalties, can never be eliminated in bankruptcy.
  • You did not commit fraud or willful evasion. If you filed a fraudulent tax return or otherwise willfully attempted to evade paying taxes, such as using a false Social Security number on your tax return, bankruptcy can't help.
  • The debt is at least three years old. To eliminate a tax debt, the tax return must have been originally due at least three years before you filed for bankruptcy.
  • You filed a tax return. You must have filed a tax return for the debt you wish to discharge at least two years before filing for bankruptcy. (In most courts, if you file a late return (meaning your extensions have expired and the IRS filed a substitute return on your behalf), you have not filed a "return" and cannot discharge the tax. In some courts, you can discharge tax debt that is the subject of a late return as long as you meet the other criteria.)
  • You pass the "240-day rule." The income tax debt must have been assessed by the IRS at least 240 days before you file your bankruptcy petition, or must not have been assessed yet. (This time limit may be extended if the IRS suspended collection activity because of an offer in compromise or a previous bankruptcy filing.)

Message 4 of 5
twono
Frequent Contributor

Got it Firemedic, thanks.

My tax bill is well below the 240 days.   So it looks like i will have that to deal with no matter which BK i'm in.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.