cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it Legal? Lender still pulling soft pulls monthly - IIB / Discharged 2 years ago?

tag
freshstartguy
Established Member

Is it Legal? Lender still pulling soft pulls monthly - IIB / Discharged 2 years ago?

Hello!

I have a credit union auto loan that was included in chapter 7, discharged almost 2 years now, still pulling soft pulls on a monthly basis. I have no other accounts with them. Do they legally have a right to continue to pull my credit report? Obvisouly, it's not hurting my scores due to it being soft pulls but it seems rather invasive and sneaky to me. What could they possibly be looking for after almost 2 years?

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
gorgon
Established Contributor

Re: Is it Legal? Lender still pulling soft pulls monthly - IIB / Discharged 2 years ago?

I doubt it's illegal. People probably get way more soft pulls on their CRs than they would ever imagine, and unless they get their report straight from the CRA, they wouldn't know they were there.

Message 2 of 7
freshstartguy
Established Member

Re: Is it Legal? Lender still pulling soft pulls monthly - IIB / Discharged 2 years ago?

Thank you for responding. It's not hurting anything but it's just kind of irritating that they're still looking at my credit report monthly almost after 2 years. I just wondered if they have a right to do that. I know as long as I have an account with them that's open an active they have a right but do they still have a right even after bankruptcy and the account is closed? These lenders / creditors just do whatever they want these days.
Message 3 of 7
twono
Frequent Contributor

@freshstartguy wrote:
Thank you for responding. It's not hurting anything but it's just kind of irritating that they're still looking at my credit report monthly almost after 2 years. I just wondered if they have a right to do that. I know as long as I have an account with them that's open an active they have a right but do they still have a right even after bankruptcy and the account is closed? These lenders / creditors just do whatever they want these days.

I understand your concern, but look at this way.  Just 'pretend' that the CU that is pulling you  is just another bank, insurance company, extended warranty company, etc...that is sending you mailers/pre-qualified offers in the mail everyday.

All the junk mail we get with credit offers are usually from banks and companies that we've never had business with, but yet they know who you are.  Banks sell our info everyday.  Once you're 'out there' , you can't stop the onslaught.  Except freezing youur reports.

Message 4 of 7
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

They’ve got no legal right anymore to be pulling your credit every month, whetehr it be hard or soft. But they still do it. Call them. They forget to turn off the credit score pulling robot. 

Message 5 of 7
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

@Tuscani wrote:

They’ve got no legal right anymore to be pulling your credit every month, whetehr it be hard or soft. But they still do it. Call them. They forget to turn off the credit score pulling robot. 

It really depends on why they are soft pulling it.   If they are pulling to see if they can pre-approve you for an offer then they have that right.  If they are doing pulls for account review then they should not be pulling it. 

When you check your own credit report or give permission to someone like a potential employer to review your credit report, a soft inquiry occurs. Soft inquiries may also occur when businesses, such as lenders, insurance companies, or credit card companies, check your credit to pre-approve you for offers.

quoted from https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-experian/credit-education/report-basics/hard-vs-soft-inquiries-on...

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 6 of 7
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

@MakingProgress wrote:

@Tuscani wrote:

It really depends on why they are soft pulling it.   If they are pulling to see if they can pre-approve you for an offer then they have that right.  If they are doing pulls for account review then they should not be pulling it. 

When you check your own credit report or give permission to someone like a potential employer to review your credit report, a soft inquiry occurs. Soft inquiries may also occur when businesses, such as lenders, insurance companies, or credit card companies, check your credit to pre-approve you for offers.

quoted from https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-experian/credit-education/report-basics/hard-vs-soft-inquiries-on...

I do not disagree. But there is a fine line sometimes as to what companies consider permissible puspose. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.