cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it any less difficult to purchase just land with a BK on your report?

tag
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Is it any less difficult to purchase just land with a BK on your report?

@2b2rich wrote:

I would like to purchase some land and try to have it paid down, or even in full over the next 24 months where I could then build a house on it,  but I’m wondering what this falls under as far as credit/loans.  Has anyone had luck purchasing acreage in the first year after discharge?

To purchase land, you will either need a "lot loan" or a "construction loan".  Lot loans typically require good to excellent credit, since land is difficult to re-sell if the lender has to foreclose and cut their losses... it's unlikely you will find any traditional lot loans until your BK discharge has seasoned for probably a good 4 years.  However, if you don't mind more expensive terms, then there may be private/hard money lenders willing if you have a significant down payment (usually at least 40-50%).  Construction loans are a little easier to qualify for, but you need to start construction soon after closing on the lot, and you'll still need to be at least 3 years out from a BK (then an FHA construction loan would be an option).

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 11 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.