cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it ok to use a CC after DC, but before case closing?

tag
twono
Frequent Contributor

Is it ok to use a CC after DC, but before case closing?

My Kohls seems to have survived BK.  I'm a bit anxious to use it for a small online purchase just to see if it's active.

Is it perfectly fine to use a CC post DC, but before the actual BK case is closed?  

I have assets to be surrendered to the trustee still, so case is still open.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: Is it ok to use a CC after DC, but before case closing?

I would wait.   If you are doing a chapter 7, there is no restriction on incurring new debt post filing but pre discharge, but say Kohls decides to close you when their periodic review shows the discharged BK.    They will close you and likely list you as included in bankruptcy since technically all debts are discharged, whether listed or not.   I would wait until discharge and hope for the best.

Even though there are technically there are a lot things you can do post filing but pre discharge, most people think it's best to get that discharge order in hand first.   Bankruptcies can get challenged pre-discharge and dismissed.   Better than safe than sorry.

Message 2 of 4
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

I'm sorry, I misread.   If you are post discharge you are fine.   Go ahead and try it.   "Closed" doesn't mean anything really.   Discharged is all that matters.

Message 3 of 4
twono
Frequent Contributor

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

I would wait.   If you are doing a chapter 7, there is no restriction on incurring new debt post filing but pre discharge, but say Kohls decides to close you when their periodic review shows the discharged BK.    They will close you and likely list you as included in bankruptcy since technically all debts are discharged, whether listed or not.   I would wait until discharge and hope for the best.

Even though there are technically there are a lot things you can do post filing but pre discharge, most people think it's best to get that discharge order in hand first.   Bankruptcies can get challenged pre-discharge and dismissed.   Better than safe than sorry.

Thanks for the reply, but i think you misread my thread.  I am already Discharged, but my case is "awaiting closing" due to some assets that i am surrendering to the trustee.  Just waiting for the details of me taking them to BK impound lot.

My Kohls acct was last updated to the bureaus 3 days after my BK Discharge was on all 3 credit reports.  And since Kohls is financed through CapOne, i'm sure that CapOne knows that i burned them for over $30k, but they decided to leave the Kohls open.  I'm assuming that is the situation anyway  Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.