Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's Been Over a Year

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's Been Over a Year

My BK7 was discharged in Nov '15, and I meant to post on the anniversary but didn't. At times I feel like my rebuild is going way too easily, with the cards and limits I've been able to get. But I hope providing a little detail can encourage someone out there.

My scores prior to BK were in the 730 range.

Per EQ in July '15, AAoA 7 years 1 month, Oldest account 23 years 4 months.

Burned in BK: Amex, BofA, Comenity, Citibank, Chase, DSNB, Synchrony, WFB.

I don't really know what my actual FICO scores were post BK until a little over 6 months after. I had FAKOs in the low 500's though, I do know that. After BK, I waited 6 months almost to the day to apply for new credit. (I didn't plan to wait 6 months, I just really didn't feel like getting new cards, and it was cool paying cash for everything.) I had read the big thread "HOW TO: From BK7 discharge to 700 in 24 months or less!" on here, but I wasn't a MyFICO subscriber or member at that point. I haven't followed the "HOW TO" thread exactly as I had planned to, but I'm happy with my results. I do have two students loans from before BK, so I didn't need an installment loan. So, for the sake of making this easy to read:

July '15

Filed BK7

November '15

BK7 Discharged

May '16

Credit One approved, $400 SL

$200 auto CLI (when 1st statement cut- I had already made a payment prior to statement cutting) $600 total SL

June '16

Capital One Platinum approved, $3000 SL (jaw hits floor)

Started MyFICO 3B, EQ 632; TU 576; EX 619

July '16

EQ 659; TU 603; EX 668

Capital One Platinum PC'd to Quicksilver (no AF)

Discover it approved, $1000 SL

Victoria's Secret approved, $500 SL via Shopping Cart Trick

NFL Extra Points approved, $3500 SL (jaw hits floor)

Entered the Garden

August '16

Gardening: EQ 665; TU 625; EX 674

September '16

Gardening: EQ 668; TU 630; EX 675

Capital One Quicksilver CLI $300 via Luv Button, $3300 total SL

October '16

Gardening: EQ 688; TU 650; EX 687

November '16

Gardening: EQ 689; TU 655; EX 687

Discover it CLI $500 via Luv Button, $1500 total SL

jetBlue Plus approved, $4000 SL (yeeeaaahhh, baby!)

Entered the Garden again

December '16

Gardening: EQ 688; TU 652; EX 682

Closed Credit One

Capital One Credit Steps CLI $500, $3800 total SL

In my Wallet Today

Capital One Quicksilver MC, $3800

Discover it, $1500

Victoria's Secret, $500

NFL Extra Points Visa, $3500

jetBlue Plus WEMC, $4000

Per EQ in July '16: AAoA 7 years 9 months, Oldest account 16 years 10 months (my oldest account doesn't show anymore after BK...) 

Per EX today: AAoA 7 years 10 months, Oldest account 22 years 8 months (my oldest account is still on here...)

Inquiries: EQ 5, TU 4, EX 7 (after May '17: EQ 2, TU 3, EX 3)

Well, that's a lot of info. Kudos to anyone who makes it through it! Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: It's Been Over a Year

Nice job Bella! 

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice job Bella and thanks much for all of the data points - they come in very handy!

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great work Bella!! You've done some great work! And your scores will continue to grow!!! Good for you!

Message 5 of 12
Scupra
Super Contributor

Amazing job Bella! You have some nice cards and you are so close to 700 Smiley Happy Keep at it!

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow!  Those scores are impressive.  They've gone up so quickly in a short period of time.  I've been following the "HOW TO: From BK7 discharge to 700 in 24 months or less!" thread myself and my story is *really* similar to yours.  I waited a few months before apping for anything, it was healthy for me to actually use cash for everything for a few months.  Now I'm rebuilding for about a year and I've been much more restrained in terms of apping but your scores are actually higher than mine.  It's also super encouraging to see you got the Jetblue Barclay card--that's one I've had my eye on.  

If you're open to sharing what your utilization has been I'd be curious to know.  

Congrats on your progress!  Very nice rebuild!  

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow!  Those scores are impressive.  They've gone up so quickly in a short period of time.  I've been following the "HOW TO: From BK7 discharge to 700 in 24 months or less!" thread myself and my story is *really* similar to yours.  I waited a few months before apping for anything, it was healthy for me to actually use cash for everything for a few months.  Now I'm rebuilding for about a year and I've been much more restrained in terms of apping but your scores are actually higher than mine.  It's also super encouraging to see you got the Jetblue Barclay card--that's one I've had my eye on.  

If you're open to sharing what your utilization has been I'd be curious to know.  

Congrats on your progress!  Very nice rebuild!  

Thanks! I agree about paying cash for everything. JetBlue is a card that I really wanted, and I kind of rolled the dice on it, but I'm so glad I did. 

I'm totally open to sharing my utilization numbers. Did you just want the percentage of UTIL each month on each card? I have total spend, reported balance, and utilization percentage in my spreadsheet. If you want all of those, I'll probably round the total spend and reported balances up or down.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow you keep really good records!  

Yeah I'd be curious to know all of that but even just a general sense of your utilization would be satisfying--I'm guessing you maintained attractive levels for all those approvals! 

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow you keep really good records!  

Yeah I'd be curious to know all of that but even just a general sense of your utilization would be satisfying--I'm guessing you maintained attractive levels for all those approvals!  

16-May16-Jun16-Jul16-Aug16-Sep16-Oct16-Nov16-Dec
Credit One12%2%6%0%3%0%0% Closed
Capital One  9%7%0%7%8%6%
Discover   8%18%18%11%0%
Victoria's Secret   9%0%0%6%0%
NFL Extra Points   8%7%8%8%0%
Total UTIL12%2%9%7%5%8%7%?

I spend way too much time on my spreadsheet, lol! Smiley Happy

I figure just giving the percentages is a good place to start. As you can tell, I haven't been perfectly below 10% UTIL with Discover and they gave me my first $500 CLI 31 days ago. I am about to hit them up again, but the payment to bring it down to 0% is pending. Probably be able to give it a try tomorrow. My new jetBlue card will post its first balance next week, and I'll probably let it post 10-15% this first time around. Been toying with the idea of moving the NFL limit over to the jetBlue, though.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.