Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JUST FILED BK

tag
ficorenavator
Regular Contributor

JUST FILED BK

I just filed bk this past Monday but, I have one question though.  If I have some items that are due to fall off this year such as lates and collection accounts will they automatically fall off even though I filed bk?  Also, I've heard in some cases when someone files bk their score actually improves.  Is this true?  my scores were in the low 400s and what can I do to start rebuilding my credit once I'm discharged?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
ficorenavator
Regular Contributor

Re: JUST FILED BK

anyone? I need help or advice.

thanks

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your BK will not affect the DOFD of those debts about to fall off.

BK will not improve your score.  If in the 400's you may not see any substantial loss because it is so low, but it will most likely not improve it.  Theoretically it can improve it if you have A LOT of debt which will go to zero balances.  But the corresponding derog accounts, charge offs and the BK itself are going to overcome those gains.  But, it could theoretically happen.  But you aren't going to jump 200 points.

Follow the credit basics on this forum.  Establish credit, but don't live beyond means.  Pay in full.  Time, time, and more time will be necessary to come back from 400's and BK....so be patient and diligent.  This is going to take a few years to get back up from.

Message Edited by txjohn on 05-06-2009 05:58 PM
Message 3 of 6
ficorenavator
Regular Contributor

Thanks for your words of encouragement and honesty.  I have one more question where should I start looking on the forums for steps and procedures on rebuilding my credit after bk?  Are there any rebuilder cc's out there?  Please help!!! I promised myself I will not make the same mistakes again!!!  I've trying to repair my credit myself by sending gw letters and disputing items.  I had some success and I also, have a couple of items due to fall off this year as well but, the negative items simply outweight the positive.  Lates, derrog account descriptions, one judgement, high cc utilization, and collections.  Please help!!!

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would take a look at credit one bank cards. www.creditonebank.com

They offer very basic cards with low limits. Keep paying on time, don't go over your limit, work on the gw letters, you'll be fine. Its gonna take work and time but it can be done. My mother works at a hospital where i've seen people who dont know if they'll see tomorrow.  So trust me..... this is just a bump in the road for ya. BK is a fresh start, that is somtimes best for people in the long term.  Good luck!

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ficorenavator wrote:

Thanks for your words of encouragement and honesty.  I have one more question where should I start looking on the forums for steps and procedures on rebuilding my credit after bk?  Are there any rebuilder cc's out there?  Please help!!! I promised myself I will not make the same mistakes again!!!  I've trying to repair my credit myself by sending gw letters and disputing items.  I had some success and I also, have a couple of items due to fall off this year as well but, the negative items simply outweight the positive.  Lates, derrog account descriptions, one judgement, high cc utilization, and collections.  Please help!!!

That depends on what you are interested in, the fastest approval to a CC or the best long term strategy to ultimate great credit.

Personally, I would suggest that whether you go with/attempt some or any of the builder cards, i would pick a good credit union that has secured loans and secured cards services and establish a savings account.  I would add a little savings each paycheck to it to gain some tenure as a member. 

Once you have $500 in savings, ask for a savings/share secured loan against the savings account.  Pay it off over a 12 month period.  Talk to the CU about their secured card.  Get one as soon as they will allow it.  Use it for your cash expense that you can PIF end of month.  The combination of a paid personal loan and successful and responsible use secured card, plus growing savings will provide a genuine, long term financial and credit relationship that will "grow" with your and your improving credit over the years.  Builder cards won't grow with you.  They will eventually outlive their usefullness, which you need to understand their use up front.  They are the "get back in the game" cards that you love when you get them, but will eventually find frustrating when they will not grow to reflect your renewed and improved credit.  They will only see you for the ugly credit that you were in the beginning.  But this is fine, they are tools for a particular need and use.

If you can, have your paycheck direct deposited to the credit union and use them for your checking, if they will give you check.  They might not allow checking initially if credit is really bad plus BK.  Don't allow that to sour you on them.  Use the savings.  Use the secured loan.  After you pay the loan off, continue to add to the savings, whatever you can spare.....part of rebuilding credit is establishing, maintaining and building a savings and emergency fund....so this is an important part.

Begin working on the credit basics to repair what you can on your CR.  However, as mentioned, time is going to be a big factor for you at this point.  You will not be able to remove all the negatives, so you need to re-establish new credit to give some offsetting new positive to deflect the old derogs.

Capital One, HSBC, Orchard, First Premiere and other "builder cards" are known for working with bad credit, no credit or post- BK.

Use this forum to learn, ask questions, get encouragement and ALSO to share your growing knowledge, experience and perspective. 

Good luck and don't lose sight of the prize which will seem a long way off right now.  But each step you take is going to be one step closer.  Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.