cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Journey through Chapter 13

tag
patf

Re: Journey through Chapter 13

It's been very interesting reading through a lot of this thread.  It is somewhat comforting knowing other's have gone through the same thing.  We filed Chapter 13 last July, so coming up on one year now.  It seems at this point like it will take forever, but the first year went relatively quickly so am hoping the rest do too.  Ours was more of a painful plan, not so lucky as many of you.  Our payment got adjusted three times before the final, and we are at $1523.00 with a two time step up meaning that at certain points the payment goes up. It will be over $2200.00 before we are through. 

I was most concerned about seeing what the credit scores are/were.  My husband's has already risen about 50 points over the year, but we don't know why.  We have nothing but the plan payments that could cause it go up, which was actually my original concern.  We want to buy a house- we just signed a lease for 3 years, so will either try then or just wait another 15 months or so and buy it after the discharge.  We had tried to buy a car for my husband, but the request was denied.  We had money in the payment for car repairs etc, but they seem to think it's okay to pay for repairs but not for a new car.  His car has over 205,000 miles on it and he drives 60 miles a day to and from work.  He went all winter without heat in the car (and it's cold in Minneapolis).  But, we will try again in about 9 months.  It's interesting to see that you said leave the requests to the trustee alone... hmm.  Not sure we can make it for four more years, but we can try. 

Has anyone ever been able to actually purchase a home while in Chapter 13?  They should approve it if it's not more than what we are paying for rent, but from the sounds of it, they won't.

Thanks for all the help and posting and support.  It is appreciated.

Message 81 of 99
ggroller

I rented cars from Enterprise multiple times during Chapter 13. They didn't run my credit. All that happens is they reserve $200 on the card and then use some or all of it for payment and release the rest after you return the car. Applying for credit during bk is a bad idea.
Message 82 of 99
Math_Rocks
Established Contributor

Thanks for sharing your experience, ggroller! Really glad that you had no problems. I looked into Enterprise but their rentals were twice as high as Dollar and Dollar's website states clearly that if we use a debit card, they WILL pull our credit and may not rent to us. We can't chance that, especially when we are arriving in the middle of the night with a newborn. Also, thank you for your concern about us opening new credit while in BK. We triple checked with our BK attorney before doing so and he assured us it was okay. We will NOT be opening any other accounts though and this will always be PIF.

Filed Chapter 13 April 2012. Case successfully closed May 2017, about 1 month after 60th payment. FAKO scores on close date: TU 695 EQ 697. Received discharge July 11th - took forever! Real EX day of discharge 624.
Message 83 of 99
ggroller

You can also consider third-party rental sites like Hotwire and Priceline. I've had Avis and Hertz rentals via them while in chapter 13 and used debit card each time without credit checks when I fully prepaid rental charges via the sites. I also rented from Toyota dealers with a debit card. Many Toyota and Nissan dealerships have in-house rental agencies. There are always coupons and discounts on the Internet as well as through Costco/Sam's etc. As for looking for credit - my attorney told me that any new credit lines must be approved by bk trustee.
Message 84 of 99
Math_Rocks
Established Contributor

Welcome, patf! Yes, I'm never glad to see that others have had to file BK too but thankful that we are not alone. So far as making requests of your trustee, I would really seek your attorney's advice. I think some trustees are much more strict than others. We were assured that if we want to get a car during our BK, we will be able to do so. But we are really going to try not to request anything from the trustee.

ggroller, I think depending on where you live, there are different rules. As you can see from a previous comment by Rhaeny, we are not alone in being told that it was okay to get one card with a low limit. 

Well, for those who want to know, our secured CC arrived today, 20 days after applying for it. I am thankful for this opportunity to build a positive TL but I am also terrified to use it, lol! We really plan to only use it where a CC is absolutely necessary and it will ALWAYS be paid in full.

Filed Chapter 13 April 2012. Case successfully closed May 2017, about 1 month after 60th payment. FAKO scores on close date: TU 695 EQ 697. Received discharge July 11th - took forever! Real EX day of discharge 624.
Message 85 of 99
Tilliestarot
New Visitor

How did everything eventually work out for you?

Message 86 of 99
shellymeli

I am a Chapter 13 survivor!! 

I filed August 6, 2006 and made my last payment of $2109 on August 2011.

My 60 months decreased because i got permission to remortgage to include all banktuptcy fees.  This shortened my time.

It was the HARDEST thing I have ever had to go thru in my entire life.  I consider myself a winner because 12 out of 100 people that file make it all the way thru to discharge. 

My 7 years will be up this Summer and hopefully I will see it fall off my credit report.

I just want to give some support to all those going thru this and say that anything is achievable with dedication and diligence.   Good luck to all of you!!!

Message 87 of 99
wvgirl_sunshine
Established Member

I last posted in May..I need some help understanding this process.  May made 5 years since we filed.  we have 0 on all accounts except 100% to lawyer and cap. one which are monthly payments that total 112.96.  we have 2875.75 in reserves..out trustee paid cap one mthly payment of 18.36 in june but did not pay anything to lawyer..if she continues with the mthly payment of 18.36, it will be be january 2014 before it is paid in full..we send 2,360.00 mthly..(it doesn't make a lot of sense to send in that amount now since only 112.96 is taken out.  That would be over 18,000.00 if it goes to january).  Do i need to ask for a pay-off to get this cap one bill paid in full?  also, my plan base shows 152,880.00, and we have paid in 134,000.00 as of may.(We had 12 creditors that did not file ) so I am sure that's where the trustee got the plan base total...I would appreciate any advice on what to do next.. 

Never Look Down on Anyone Unless You are Helping Them Up
Message 88 of 99
todobetter

I am so thankful to find this post. We had our first meeting with the attorney to start the process, like most I am scared and relieved at the same time.

Message 89 of 99
After7

I Filed on 6/6  and my 341 meeting with the trustee is in 2 weeks. Kind of bummed out and what really sucks is me and my GF were thinking abouit buying a house in a year or so. She has great credit. Anyway wanted to say hello to all !!

Message 90 of 99
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.