Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just been discharged. How long to wait?

tag
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Just been discharged. How long to wait?

Filed 8/31. Discharged 12/14. How long should I wait to apply for an unsecured card and which one is best?
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
gorgon
Established Contributor

Re: Just been discharged. How long to wait?

Which banks did you burn in your bankruptcy?

Message 2 of 7
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Amex, BofA, Chase, Discover, Cap One, Citi, NCSECU, M&T, PayPal credit when it was under comemity
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 3 of 7
gorgon
Established Contributor

I would recommend OpenSky secured. Lower APR, no credit check, and low AF. After you've had that a few months, and make your payments on time, you can apply for unsecured cards. You may even get Pre-approved offers in the mail like I did. Let the creditors come to you...

Message 4 of 7
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

+1

The ones that are forgiving you burned unfortunately. You may have a chance maybe mid June to get back in with Cap1 after checking the pre-qual. Maybe secured, maybe not. Disco over 1 yr usually is the sweet spot for the secured. Whatever you do stay away from high fee cards. Credit One, First Premiere and the like....

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@icyhot. I have a car loan, credit card and personal loan with NCSECU and my 341 is Jan 18. How was your 341 meeting? Was it as nerve racking and stomach knotting as I have been told? I thought I wanted to reaffirm the car but it was brought to my attention that the credit union has a cross collateraliaztion clause where they will tie my unsecured personal loan and credit card to my secured car loan and still make pay completely off before they would even give me my title. 

Message 6 of 7
mrsjr
Regular Contributor

You don't have to wait at all once you're discharged.  I would open a credit card to start re-establishing credit right away.  You may have to start with a secured card, though.  Try Capital One's prequalification before you apply.  If you're prequalified with them, I'd take it.

Starting Score: 601
Current Score: 739 TU
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.