cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just received discharge

tag
Gymgirl

Just received discharge

I just received my discharge of debt (August) for my chapter 7 filing and I'm not entirely sure what I need to do next, if anything. My attorney has been vague and difficult to get on the phone. Do I receive something from each of my creditors acknowledging the discharge? Do I need confirmation or is the discharge paper enough? The letter from the bankruptcy court (California) only states the discharge, doesn't list any creditors. I just don't know if there's any steps I need to take now. I have two car loans that were reaffirmed and I've been paying faithfully each month. My debt was credit cards and old taxes. Thanks for any help!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
shols44
Frequent Contributor

Re: Just received discharge

@Gymgirl wrote:
I just received my discharge of debt (August) for my chapter 7 filing and I'm not entirely sure what I need to do next, if anything. My attorney has been vague and difficult to get on the phone. Do I receive something from each of my creditors acknowledging the discharge? Do I need confirmation or is the discharge paper enough? The letter from the bankruptcy court (California) only states the discharge, doesn't list any creditors. I just don't know if there's any steps I need to take now. I have two car loans that were reaffirmed and I've been paying faithfully each month. My debt was credit cards and old taxes. Thanks for any help!

You don't have to do nada! Zip! Zilch. It is over...all you have to do now is focus on your rebuild http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/UPDATED-HOW-TO-From-BK7-discharge-to-700-in-24-months-or-.... You will not receive anything from any creditors. The only thing you need is discharge order for your own files. It sounds like you already got that. The entire schedule of creditors can be retrieved through PACER along with the rest of your BK paperwork if you want it. 

Starting Score: 501
Current Score: 754 EQ,TU 745,EX 750
Goal Score: 800

Message 2 of 4
Gymgirl

Great, i feel better now. Thanks so much for your answering!
Message 3 of 4
bbrentlinger
Regular Contributor

I would keep any paperwork regarding your chapter 7.  bills and discharge for awhile atleast and make sure your credit reports reflect this. 

Starting Score: EQ593 EX 633 TU 649
Current Score: EQ 593 EX 633 TU 649
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.