Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

List of bankruptcy friendly creditors?

tag
JenniferinFL
Frequent Contributor

List of bankruptcy friendly creditors?

I understand that some creditors are a complete 'no-go' after bankruptcy so long as the bankruptcy is still reporting. Some creditors are only a 'no chance in heck' if you included them in the bankruptcy. Is there a list anywhere of which is which?

For instance, I was approved for a Capital One Journey recently, but never included them in bankruptcy. I was also approved for a couple different store cards administered by WFNNB. I was declined by Barclay's Barnes and Nobles with bankruptcy listed as the only reason. I never had any account with Barclays, so apparently bankruptcy is a no-go even if you didn't include them in bankruptcy.

If there isn't already a list, maybe it would be helpful to have one. Obviously individual credit scores, inquiries, utilization and so on will still have an impact on approval. But, it would be nice to know if a creditor just does not lend to those within 5 years of a bankruptcy discharge. It's easy enough to compare average approved credit scores on a number of sites, but harder to find a breakdown for whether or not bankruptcy was a primary factor.

Capital One: Okay post bankruptcy (perhaps not if IIB)

WFNNB: Okay post bankruptcy (Perhaps not if IIB)

Barclays: Decline, reason bankruptcy (3 years after bankrupty discharge)

Current Cards: Cap 1 Journey $3000, Cap 1 Playstation $2250, WFNNB Store Cards $2450 combined, Target $700, CareCredit $1700, Barclay Rewards Plat. Mastercard $1800, Old Navy $300, DCU Platinum Rewards Visa $2000, Swagbucks Rewards Visa $1000

Starting Score: 615 EQ (03-15-2012) 600 TU (03-21-2012 Barclays app) ) Ch.7 discharged 5/2009

Current Score: 671 EQ (09-27-2014 DCU) 660 TU (9/26/14 Barclays) Ex 688 (10/07/2014 Swagbucks)

Gardening since 9/22/2014

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

Re: List of bankruptcy friendly creditors?

It's always a YMMV thing.

I included C1 and got an unsecured NHCR 6mo after 7 discharge, included Barlcays(apple card) and got a new Apple card 13mo after discharge.  Also, got a Discover More 11 months post discharge (did not incl Disco in BK).

The only one of those things that should be possible is the C1, but in most cases, it's secured.

This game is whack.

-SM

I am not an attorney and none of what I write should be construed as legal advice. For legal advice please consult an attorney.

Starting Score: ~470 preBK(8/2010)
Current Scores as of Late January 2016 All 700+. Last CR pull from a lender(housing) was mid-score 749.
Goal Score: 700+ - reached.
Message 2 of 27
Comet21
Regular Contributor

I did not include Capital One but was able to receive an unsecured a month after filing. I'm afraid to app for the Barclays Apple. We included Barclays Black Card in BK, but it was only in my wifes name so maybe I may have a chance. Do they keep your info as an AU? Does that automatically disqualify me? 

Starting Score: TU 477 EQ 533 BK 1/27/2012
Current Score: EX 702 TU 681 EQ 652 1/10/2014
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 27
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

Comet - 

Like I said, I got a Barclays Apple after including a Barclays Apple in my BK.  My old dead account even shows under my login online!  I have no idea how/why they approved me.  Silly rabbits!

-SM

I am not an attorney and none of what I write should be construed as legal advice. For legal advice please consult an attorney.

Starting Score: ~470 preBK(8/2010)
Current Scores as of Late January 2016 All 700+. Last CR pull from a lender(housing) was mid-score 749.
Goal Score: 700+ - reached.
Message 4 of 27
shorrttyycm1
Frequent Contributor

COMPANY            CREDIT LIMIT      TIME SINCE DISCHARGE          CHAPTR          WAS A CREDITOR PREV INCLUD BK

Orchard                 300/now 420        1 month                                        7                      Yes (X2 cards)

Cap One               1000/now 1500    2 months                                                              Yes (X2 cards & judgement)

NAV FED               1500/now 3500   10 months                                                             No

Hooters                  300/still 300         3 months                                                              No

Cap one Auto        24000                   11 months                                                            Yes (incl 2 auto loans in BK) accepted 9,000 for used car

Wells Fargo Auto  20000                   11 months                                                            No

Chase Auto            22000                   11 months                                                            No have student loans with them

Barkleys Appl        DENIED/BK7       10 months                                                           No

BOA Secured         DENIED/BK7        7/9 months                                                         No

Discover (IK)         DENIED/BK7           10 months                                                        No     Was told by rep that I could be approved with more history since?     

*I am right at the 1 year mark from Chptr 7.  All balances (except the 9000 car loan) are $0.  Scores are FICO TU 646  EQ 642 Exp 649 (from there site, could be fako).  Inq approx 7-8 ea.

I hope that this is helpful but, please remember, YMMV.

Starting Score: 530
3-2013Score: TU 680 EQ 683 EXP 679 FAKO
Current Score (lender pull): TU 693 EQ 649 EXP 699 Lender Pull

Message 5 of 27
jk26978
Regular Contributor

@shorrttyycm1 wrote:

COMPANY            CREDIT LIMIT      TIME SINCE DISCHARGE          CHAPTR          WAS A CREDITOR PREV INCLUD BK

Discover (IK)         DENIED/BK7           10 months                                                        No     ****Was told by rep that I could be approved with more history since?****     

I hope that this is helpful but, please remember, YMMV.

This is helpful....this give me hope that I may stand a chance in a few months with Discover - August will mark my 3 year since BK 7 filing.

Thanks

K

Starting Score: 650 Current Score: EQ:674 (SW Alert 12-28-15) - TU: 698 (5/27/13 SW)Chapter 7 filed 8/2009 - Discharged 12/2009 Goal Score: 750
Joined the garden again 12/5/13
In the garden again till at least 6/1/16

http:
Message 6 of 27
Comet21
Regular Contributor

Does Hooters have an online app? I cannot find a place to apply anywhere.

Starting Score: TU 477 EQ 533 BK 1/27/2012
Current Score: EX 702 TU 681 EQ 652 1/10/2014

Message 7 of 27
shorrttyycm1
Frequent Contributor

The app was online, I am not sure when it was taken down,  I do not think that they are currently accepting applications and have stopped there rewards program effective at the end of the month I believe.

Hope this is helpful!

Starting Score: 530
3-2013Score: TU 680 EQ 683 EXP 679 FAKO
Current Score (lender pull): TU 693 EQ 649 EXP 699 Lender Pull

Message 8 of 27
BlovemeRen

I got a Secured Capital One card while my bankruptcy was still in process, and I also received an Unsecured Orchard Bank one during that time as well. I included both of them in my bankruptcy. Today I applied for another Capital One card but this time it was an unsecured one with rewards included, and I was approved for that one as well. 

Message 9 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

As some others have stated Cap1 seems to be quite BK friendly, our BK7 was discharged 09/09 and my Cap1 cards are at $1750(year old) and $2000(3 months old). I've also had some luck with GECRB cards- CareCredit, Walmart, and Old Navy and I have heard that they are BK friendly. As for Barclays who knows, my hubby and I have pretty much exact credit profiles (BK together, auots together, cc's together, etc.) he got bombarded with "pre-selected" Barclay Reward MC offers for months and finally accepted one this month for $1300 cl. I've been declined due to BK.... lol

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.