Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lobel Financial Car Loan & Failure to repo

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lobel Financial Car Loan & Failure to repo

Ok, I hope this is the right place to be posting this.  If not, apologies!

I had a car loan included in my BK from Lobel.  I filed in September of '16 and defaulted on the loan in mid > late '12, since it's been sitting in our garage.  Before deciding to file BK, I floated the idea about getting back on track with them by either making payments or buying it straight out.  Can't remember if it was later that day that I first called in, or the next morning (either way, was with in the first 24 hours of calling in), there was an attempt to repo the car at my house, then they went venturing around to a few close family members houses looking for the car.  After never being able to chat with the so called manager I was told I had to talk to, I decided just to file BK.

I've called multiple times since my discharge and requested them to come get the car and they won't.  I've tried researching options, but find responses to be all over the place and don't want to contact my lawyer again about it; atleast not until I have a bit more knowledge on it in case there it isn't considered a "free consult" type of situation.

Can I still have my lawyer file a motion to "redeem" it, being 2 years post discharge?  Or should I just call them again and try to work out a deal for them to release/sell the title to me in hopes that they'll either do it or fall back to their previous tactic and send a truck out to repo it?  I assumed the first time I called in and tried working something out, it showed them that the car was in working condition and worth it in my mind to work something out, so they figured it still had value.  Not sure if that was the case, if it'd still work a year and a half later.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Lobel Financial Car Loan & Failure to repo

Well the balance was DC'ed in BK. So you dont owe anything. But they still hold the title. If they are local. Drive it to them and hand in the keys or walk in with what was owed and have them sign the title over to you.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Lobel Financial Car Loan & Failure to repo

Only problem with that is, it can't run in the condition it's in.  I know what's wrong and it's a relatively cheap/easy fix, but I'm not going to go out of pocket to fix it & to drive it a ways to their offices.  Especially from what I gather I would need to get them to give me some sort of written receipt that they took the car back to make sure I'm not held liable for anything with it.  Because from what I have gathered is, even though I'm in the clear when it comes to owing on it, I'm still responsible for it in regards to damages or something?  Read a lot that people stating even if you weren't driving it still, to keep it insurance and stuff on it because you're liable?  Which kind of makes going out of pocket to have it towed there a bad idea too with out a guarantee of the receipt.

Like I said, I'm not sure.  A lot of what I read seems to be relatively old and/or state specific.  Only thing that comes up commonly is that they don't have to release the lein and that they don't even  have to repo it.  And that apparently you can risk it and still drive it and stuff, just one day could go to use it and it be gone.

Also realize that a lot of this should have been discussed with my lawyer, but it did seem like they were going to have no problem repoing it when the time came since they finally made an effort to before.  Also have major anxiety issues that prevents me from a lot of social interaction.  Emails/text/etc., not so bad.  But telephone and definitely in person, totally different story.  All that was said was I wasn't keeping it and including it in the filing.  Then something about I had to keep it garaged until I was discharged, then I could let them repo it.  Think I had to call them and notify them too that I had filed and it was going to be garaged to prevent it.  Honestly don't remember.

Kinda looking for ways to either force them to come get it or release the lein/title to me for payment.  Think the idea of calling again and attempting to work something out might do it.  Since as far as I'm aware that was the one and only time they attempted to repo it; when I tried to work out a payment/purchase plan with them before I just decided to file BK.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.