Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MY BK Journey Updated 9/27/19

tag
nursepower
Frequent Contributor

MY BK Journey Updated 9/27/19

I figured instead of posting a new post everytime something happens, I'll keep a running thread if that's okay. 

3.08.18 - I bit the bullet and decided to file for Chapter 7. According to my Credit Report I just pulled I owe 70K in Credit Card debt.

3.09.18 - Met with the attorney. He said to stop payments on cards and don't use them anymore. He said our best bet is to file in July since my child support stops then and i wont get any more checks from my job for 3 month's ( I dont get paid during the summer) That means 4 months of harassment from the card companies. 😣

He said I could give him $100 retainer and when anyone calls to say I'm filing for bankruptcy, call my attorney and give his name and number.

I've never missed a payment before and am struggling to reconcile with myself this concept. On the other side I will feel so much relief because I'll actually have money to pay for stuff instead of charging it all and struggling to make the payments.

He also said we should add a car payment under my husband's name as he's not filing, we were planning on getting one in the summer anyway and I can use that amount as outgoing money on my bankruptcy application.

So on Friday I will pay the retainer, print out copies of cc statements, and not pay. I also need to remove hubby as authorized user from 4 cards just in case and change bank accounts.

3.15.18 Missed my first payments. 
Well I have officially begun my BK journey. I missed my first payments for my plan to file in July.

I'm feeling conflicted. 

I will miss some of my cards - the companies were good to me. 

However, it was amazing to see the amount of money we have when I don't have my cards to pay. I've been able to pay any expenses out of my checking account because the money was there. We may also be able to pay off hubbys' Best Buy card before the end of the promotion period and we are hit with 100's in back interest. 

So I feel good, but also feel guilty for not paying my cards. I will have to learn how to accept and deal with the guilt. Did anyone else feel this? Any tips? 

I'm also struggling with not spending the money in the Checking account unneccesarily. Weird I know, but I'm used to having NONE and now there is something there. 

3.20.18 - Bought our new car under husband's name and credit. Cost was 30K out the door. Subaru Forester Black Edition with Eyesight Technology 2018. This price also includes Gap insurance. Total Monthly payments will be $500, this also increased our monthly car insurance to $200 per month and I also bought an Extended Subaru warranty that will cost me $165 per month for 10 months interest free. 

3.26.18 - Received my first late notice in the mail and my first phone call for late payment. 

3.30.18 - Met with my attorney again after spending 2 weeks gathering all the paperwork he needed. He's going to go over all my papers this weekend and let me know on Monday whether I qualify to file Ch 7 now or if I have to wait for summer, when my Child support stops. I also paid him the attorney's fees of $1100. I had saved up 2000$ so far in my Savings to cover rent during the summer, but since I'm not paying my bills, I'll have rent money each month out of hubby's check, so I paid the attorney in full. I still owe $335 for filing whenever we decide to file. 
I pay our bills every 30th and 15th of the month. After paying more than the minimum of hubby's bills, and the extended warranty we got for the new car the attorney suggested we get under hubby's name, I still have over $1000 left for the next two weeks, AMAZING!! 
I'm trying to figure out how to budget. Previously, I would make all my bill payments, and whatever was left over was what we lived on until I ran out and then the Credit cards came back in to play. Any help with a good budget app? or website? Still not sure how to budget for things that don't occur monthly, IE: Dentist visits or Eye doctor, we haven't been in awhile due to money constraints. 

4.2.18 spoke to my attorney. I do not qualify until July because my husband received a Christmas bonus of 10K in December. Bummer. He said keep any notices that come in the mail, all pay stubs, and we will meet up late June/ early July. In the mean time give creditors his name and number and ask them not to call again. For now though I am refusing 800 and unavailable numbers.

4.26.18 My phone has been blowing up. I've been blocking all unknown numbers, however Kohl's tricked me and called with a local number so I answered. I told her I was filing BK and gave her my attorneys name and number.  She said she would mark my account and the card would be closed immediately. She was very nice about it. Then proceeded to remind me to come in, they had great sales all the time. I laughingly said "I know, that's part of why I'm in this mess" We both laughed. 
Macy's just called and I answered. Gave the attorney info. She said calls would stop for 2 months and then they will check back if unable to verify. Then she wished me "best of luck". 

I'm getting emails all the time from Credit Sesame and Mint letting me know that I'm delinquent. Then one came to my husbands Transunion account even though I removed him as authorized user and it says that on his report, they still marked him 30 days late, so I'm currently disputing that. 

I've recieved a few letters in the mail informing me of not making payments and CL decreases. I'm also keeping a list of who (company wise) I've informed of the BK so I know when I told them if they call again. 

C'mon July!!!

7.16.18 - Met with my attorney, paid the filing fee and case will be filed tonight.

7.23.18 - Received notice of my court date in the mail. August 14....my wedding anniversary. Wish me luck.

8.14.18 - Just had my 341 meeting. It went very smoothly. He asked yes and no questions and that was it, less than 5 minutes. I had no assets so it was pretty straightforward.
My attorney said I could try starting today for new CC's. I thought I had to wait until discharge. He said no, it's okay now. He said don't charge more than 20% and pay off each cycle.
Today is my 18th wedding anniversary! So while I sucked at adulting, I apparently excel at marriage. Congrats to me!!!

10.8.18 Recieved pre-approval for Credit One card. Applied and approved for 500$ with 75$ AF first year, 99$ after. No grace period for purchases.

10.16.18 Received my Credit One card. cute. I hope it fills its purpose. DC should be any day now.

10.18.18 DISCHARGED!!!!!

10.26.18 Approved for a secured card through the county I work for credit union. 18% and I put down $250 so that's my limit. They said it will unsecure in one year of on- time payments. 

11.1.18 - Approved for 300$ Kohls card!!!

11.16.18 - Been messing around with the SCT and was able to get Coldwater creek to pop-up!! Limit $500. And AnnTaylor loft for $250. I accepted but did not buy. Just found out Ann Taylor was a hard pull even with last 4 of SS. So cold apped for VS since pop-up would not come up. Approved for $150! Done now. Off to garden. Turns out both SCT were HP. Coldwater Creek got me too.

Week of 11/22 - Got NY&Co for $250 and Wayfair for $2000!!

11/26/18 - Logged on to Credit one to pay my bill - auto CLI to $650

2/13/19 - Received pre approval for Jared's so I tried, but it was declined. 

2/15/19 - Received a Pre-approval for Indigo with $75 AF and grace period for purchases. Was going to accept but then read someone who did the prequalify on the site before accepting the invitation and I was pre-qualified for no AF and still the grace period. I accepted and applied and was approved for $300! I've started budgeting with YNAB and am doing well so far. I haven't been using credit cards, unless I PIF each paycheck. Things are looking good. Now I'm concentrating on paying off hubby's credit cards. I'll keep you updated. 

UPDATE: Received letter to call in for Jared. Called and approved for $3500!!!

4/3/19 - Received a pre approval for OLLO card, Applied, approved for $2600!!! No AF, no interest if paid by due date, 0% for 9 months. Back to the Garden now. 

BK DC 10/18/18
Walmart $400 | Target $500 | Playstation Visa $750 | Petco MasterCard ? | Best Buy Visa $2000 | Cap 1Quicksilver $2500 | Ollo $2700 | Kohl's $3000 | Comenity $3200 | Dell $4000 | Skypoint FCU $5000
Last app 6/2/21
Message 1 of 51
50 REPLIES 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: MY BK Journey

Mint or You Need a Budget YNAB are good free budget apps, I found them a bit overly complicated but they give you the basic ideas. You can customize the categories once you get the hang of what it's like, but I'd leave them in place for the first little while so you understand what they are trying to have you do.

You can import your account info (so that your transactions are automatically imported) or, if you are the kind of person who doesn't feel safe doing so or just doesn't want to, enter transactions manually.

Personally, I use a spreadsheet I created for myself (after some time using the free apps) and enter every transaction manually. I find automatic import (even if I go back and "approve" them) means it's easy to forget about purchases, which negates the entire purpose of budgeting. 

Basic financial skills are going to be your most important skills going forward, so it's great that you recognize that already. The not-fun part is that the only way to learn - how to budget, but also what you are like, what your preferences are, what your real-life habits and limitations are - is to try. The test of time will tell you.

Message 2 of 51
nursepower
Frequent Contributor

How much money are you allowed to keep in checking or savings account when filing BK?
BK DC 10/18/18
Walmart $400 | Target $500 | Playstation Visa $750 | Petco MasterCard ? | Best Buy Visa $2000 | Cap 1Quicksilver $2500 | Ollo $2700 | Kohl's $3000 | Comenity $3200 | Dell $4000 | Skypoint FCU $5000
Last app 6/2/21
Message 3 of 51
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

@nursepowerwrote:
How much money are you allowed to keep in checking or savings account when filing BK?

Excellent question.   Depending on whether or not those accounts are jointly-owned (or in a Community Property state) could greatly change the OP's strategy.   Although I assume she and her lawyer have already discussed these things...  It would be interesting to know how that works in the real world.  Smiley Happy

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 4 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

~Following

I'm in the exact same boat, just about a month behind you.

Message 5 of 51
nursepower
Frequent Contributor

Bump for update

BK DC 10/18/18
Last app 6/2/21
Message 6 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Extended warranties are a ripoff. See if you can cancel it and save yourself $1650.

Gap insurance from the dealer is also a ripoff and you should try to cancel it. You want it now that you're underwater on a $30k car note, but you can buy it from your insurance carrier for waaaay less $.

Message 7 of 51
nursepower
Frequent Contributor

Bump for update.
BK DC 10/18/18
Last app 6/2/21
Message 8 of 51
nursepower
Frequent Contributor

UPDATE!!!
BK DC 10/18/18
Last app 6/2/21
Message 9 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: MY BK Journey Updated 8.14.18

Good luck, NP! This is my first post in myFICO but wanted to chime in...I'm waiting for my discharge on Sept 5th to hopefully start an aggressive rebuild to buy a house right at the 2 year mark. I also thought you had to wait for the official discharge before pursuing new credit. Good to know!

Please keep us posted as this may prove to be inspiration for others in the same situation.
Message 10 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.