Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Median income and means test

tag
MitchL

Median income and means test

Hi,

I make 10k less than the median income in Florida.  Will I still have to do a means test for a Ch7?  I went through a divorce and I live with my parents for the moment while I get back on my feet. I'm hoping that in 6 months I'll be able to have my own place again. My expenses are currently low but I won't have any disposable income once I'm on my own.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Median income and means test

@MitchL wrote:

Hi,

I make 10k less than the median income in Florida.  Will I still have to do a means test for a Ch7?  I went through a divorce and I live with my parents for the moment while I get back on my feet. I'm hoping that in 6 months I'll be able to have my own place again. My expenses are currently low but I won't have any disposable income once I'm on my own.

@MitchL, Yes, everyone that is filing a BK has to do the means test. Its just a sure fire way to make sure you can qualify, so there arent any surprises later down the road. 

How much debt do you currently have, and whats your income? 

Message 2 of 8
MitchL

I have $44,000 in unsecured debt. I make $35,500 gross
Message 3 of 8
MyDataMyChoice
Valued Contributor

Take the last 6 months of your income   and multiply it by 2 ; if that is below the median for your area found on the US Trustees webpage you DO NOT need to take the means test.       YOu will still have to list Schedules

Message 4 of 8
MitchL

@MyDataMyChoice wrote:

Take the last 6 months of your income   and multiply it by 2 ; if that is below the median for your area found on the US Trustees webpage you DO NOT need to take the means test.       YOu will still have to list Schedules

I'm well under the median which is $48,000 here. 

Message 5 of 8
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@MitchL wrote:

@MyDataMyChoice wrote:

I'm well under the median which is $48,000 here. 

Sounds like you'll be ok thenSmiley Happy

Message 6 of 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

With your income. You do not have to take the means test. Thats for the Central Division or Orlando Court. New Update:

Beginning November 1, 2018 the median income data has been updated by the U.S. Census Bureau. The figures have increased for Florida, which means that more persons may qualify for bankruptcy filing. The new median income figures for Florida are as follows:

Household Size

Median Income

$48,000

Message 7 of 8
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@pizza1 wrote:

@MitchL wrote:

Hi,

@MitchL, Yes, everyone that is filing a BK has to do the means test. Its just a sure fire way to make sure you can qualify, so there arent any surprises later down the road. 

How much debt do you currently have, and whats your income? 

It is true that everyone does a means test if they wish to qualify for a chapter 7, if you know for sure you wish to file ch.13, and you have sufficient income to meet a repayment plan, there is not a means test to determine if your income is too high. Means testing mainly applies to chapter 7. If however, your income is too low to be able to meet the monthly payments on a realistic repayment plan, the court might deem your disposible income is too low to fund a repayment plan. In that case the bankrutcy court may force you to do a chapter 7.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.