Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mercury MC? worth it?

tag
anniea4001
Regular Contributor

Mercury MC? worth it?

Good evening everyone.

I am about a month a 3 days post discharge on my Chapter 7.

So far I have managed to secure 2 CCs wih no AF.

CapOne 3k SL.

Ollo 500 SL.

Today I received a pre approval for the Mercury MC via Credit Karma. No AF and 1% cash back.

When I click on the details, it only asks for last 4 of my SS.

Anyone that can chime in about this card? I have never heard of it and I am not sure if its even worth considering it.

What bureau do they pull from? 

My current goal is to garden for a few months so I can apply for a Penfed CC. 

My only new inquiries are the 2 cards I got plus 1 other I got denied for. But I do have several inquiries from purchasing a vehicle a year ago and 3 months ago.

Suggestions? 

Current FICO 8 scores EQ 632 - TU 630 - EX 653

8 REPLIES 8
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Re: Mercury MC? worth it?

I got it for the free FICO score basically but I've heard of people around here who got pretty great starting limits out of the card. It's definitely worth a look in my book. 

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 2 of 9
anniea4001
Regular Contributor

Thanks @chalupaman 

I know it is recommended to have at least 3 cards, so I figured this might be the 3rd one. 

Do you remember what score they pulled when you applied? 

I also noticed you have Penfed listed on your signature. That is really the next bank I want a credit card from. 

Can you share some of your data points? What score they pulled? How soon after BK discharge did you apply? 

TIA

Message 3 of 9
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@anniea4001 wrote:

Thanks @chalupaman 

I know it is recommended to have at least 3 cards, so I figured this might be the 3rd one. 

I also noticed you have Penfed listed on your signature. That is really the next bank I want a credit card from. 

Can you share some of your data points? What score they pulled? How soon after BK discharge did you apply? 

TIA

Sure thing. 

Penfed I've been a member with them since 2014 approximately, but I never really had any products with them beyond the checking and savings and overdraft LOC. After BK, they gave me another overdraft LOC account right off the bat and a year and 8 months after DC, that's when I got instantly approved for the PCR when my FICOs reached the 660s. I tried some other cards on the same HP, but no dice, so I'm just letting the card age now and using it for everyday purchases and I also did a balance transfer on there as well I'm paying off within the next month. 

I recommend getting a checking/savings account with them now so you can establish that relationship to boost your chances. 

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 4 of 9
anniea4001
Regular Contributor

@chalupaman wrote:

@anniea4001 wrote:

Thanks @chalupaman 

TIA

Sure thing. 

Penfed I've been a member with them since 2014 approximately, but I never really had any products with them beyond the checking and savings and overdraft LOC. After BK, they gave me another overdraft LOC account right off the bat and a year and 8 months after DC, that's when I got instantly approved for the PCR when my FICOs reached the 660s. I tried some other cards on the same HP, but no dice, so I'm just letting the card age now and using it for everyday purchases and I also did a balance transfer on there as well I'm paying off within the next month. 

I recommend getting a checking/savings account with them now so you can establish that relationship to boost your chances. 

@chalupaman  thanks for sharing!

I ended up applying for Mercury, and after some identity verification I was instantly approved for 2k. Not too bad for a starting limit. Plus the 1% cash back and no AF, not bad at all. Better to get some cash back than none. 

I am done with card applications for at leats 6-9 months.

After filing for my CH7, I starting researching this forum ad decided to join Penfed with a savings account after reading such good things about them.

I put a little money there at least once a month (just to have a secondary emergency fund) and I am waiting to build some more credit history before I apply for a card with them and maybe a car refinance. We'll see.

So far, I am extremely happy with the approvals I have been able to secure so far. No hard pulls wasted except a Care Credit denial. I was not planning on applying for Care Credit until next year but I had some dental work for about $1400 and I was hoping (more like dreaming) to get some love there but NOPE. 

With my 3 cards to garden I go for the next few months. Technically I have 4 cards but it does not look like Tomo is reporting to all bureaus any time soon. So it technically does not count 

Message 5 of 9
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

@anniea4001 

Congrats on the approval!

Message 6 of 9
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congratulations on your approvals!

Message 7 of 9
anniea4001
Regular Contributor

Thank you @Total80sKid @M_Smart007 

For however may be interested in this card, here is some data. Mercury pulled TU. Hope that helps 

Message 8 of 9
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.