Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage Reaffirmation Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mortgage Reaffirmation Question

I have a question that I can't seem to find the answer to. If you have a mortgage that fell behind before and during Chapter 7 proceedings that you decide to reaffirm, will the payment history start anew from discharge or will they report the delinquencies that occured during the filing? I guess I'm asking for reaffirmations in general. Do they start from that point forward as far as credit reporting?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Mortgage Reaffirmation Question

If you are current on your loan payments and able to meet future payments, reaffirming informs the lender that you intend to pay the mortgage. This allows you to keep your home during bankruptcy as long as you abide by the terms of the reaffirmation agreement and make the payments. Reaffirming your mortgage ensures communication between you, the bank, and the credit reporting agencies, says Jennifer Brown of Fifth Third Bank. “When you reaffirm, it’s going to alert the credit bureaus that you’re going through a bankruptcy so it looks like you’re paying your mortgage and shows that you have a history of making payments,” Brown explains. Some lenders require borrowers to reaffirm their mortgage in order to have future payments recorded on their credit report.

https://blog.equifax.com/credit/should-i-reaffirm-my-mortgage-debt-after-bankruptcy/ 

Message 2 of 3
2b2rich
Established Contributor

Re: Mortgage Reaffirmation Question

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a question that I can't seem to find the answer to. If you have a mortgage that fell behind before and during Chapter 7 proceedings that you decide to reaffirm, will the payment history start anew from discharge or will they report the delinquencies that occured during the filing? I guess I'm asking for reaffirmations in general. Do they start from that point forward as far as credit reporting?

Remember that this is a mutual choice.  The mortgage lender does not have to reaffirm the loan, especially if it is behind on payments, many will not.  Also, I believe the court can deny a reaffirmation if it believes you will not be able to make the payments in the future.  Maybe someone will correct me with some bankruptcy codes if I'm wrong.

Chapter 7 Discharged & Closed Jan 2020
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.