Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage after BK

tag
sihmud
Regular Contributor

Mortgage after BK

hello all,

i had a question about getting a mortgage after BK.

from my understanding and from what I've read online, I can not get a home loan until 2 years post-discharge. so here is my question.

if i add my spouse to the loan application (clean record no bk on file) will they allow us to get a loan before my 2 years post-discharge or will they still make us wait?

im hoping they will let us sooner and grade it off of her credit.

we plan on buying a house in about 10 months and my bk will be 2 years discharged in about 15 months so trying to see if we can avoid those 5 extra months.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Mortgage after BK

For FHA I believe it is 2 years conventional 4 I think. Unless you don't plan on being on the loan you will have to wait the 2 years .

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 5
sihmud
Regular Contributor

**bleep**. ok thanks

Message 3 of 5
FLLGuy
Frequent Contributor

@sihmud  -  Are you BK 7 or 13?   If I recall correctly, discharged from CH7 there's a mandate you have to wait a couple years. 

I was discharged from BK13 on July 2021 and closed on a new mortgage March 2022, it didn't cause any issues to secure a mortgage loan since I had 720 middle score.  However, I couldn't get the best rates because of BK on my reports nonetheless I got the loan.  

Message 4 of 5
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Conventional is 4 years from DC. Theres a reason why the mandate is there.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.