Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motorcycle, powersports financing after BK

tag
twono
Frequent Contributor

Motorcycle, powersports financing after BK

So on occasion  i play around with prequalifications for credit cards, Capital One Auto Navigator, Carvana, Cargurus, etc.....I decided to check out any BK friendly motorcycle lenders.

Got in touch with a local motorcycle dealership, told them my story, and they offered Sheffield, Synchrony and Roadrunner financial as their lenders.  Of course i would recommend going through your local CU first, but since i already have an RV loan with my CU that i got 13 months post DC, i looked into other means.

I burned Synchrony and Sheffield, so that left Roadrunner to check out.  They have a soft pull application but it is a full blown credit app so i was a bit nervous about submitting....Soft pull, Approved @Anonymous.39% for $22,500 which is the price of this particular bike. I am NOT buying a $23,000 motorcycle at 12.39% to be clear.  Maybe $10k-12k bike with a few thousand down and pay off quick though.

The Roadrunner Financial website also says that they use  'EXPERIAN AUTO 08'.

My data points:

-DC Oct 2019

-Obtained 3 new cards within 60 days of DC

-RV loan $20k @741051.9 with local CU,  Nov 2020, 1 yr post DC.

-No other APPS except those listed above, which means NO denials since DC.  

-FICO 08 TU 647, EX 651, EQ 652......FICO 09's are low 700's

I get a Capital One card pre-approval weekly but don't bite.

Pre-approved with Cap One auto  for $35k, 4.5-6.5%

Pre-approved with Carvana

I"m just seeing what pre-approvals are coming my way and use that as a gauge/indicator of how im progressing with my rebuild.

Hope this tidbit of info helps.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
DebtStinks
Established Contributor

Re: Motorcycle, powersports financing after BK

Good info! Thanks for the share and the DP's!

NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 (Opened 1/19) - NFCU Platinum $21000 (Opened 1/21) - TTCU Platinum Visa $10000 (Opened 10/18) - Discover $5500 (Opened 11/21) - Barclays View MC $5000 (Opened 1/19) - Capital One Platinum $3500 (Opened 2/19) - Capital One World Elite MC $1000 (Opened 3/21) - Target Store Card $2000 (Opened 10/18) - Floor & Decor Store Card $42500 (Opened 10/18)
Closed - PenFed $35,000 - Cap1 World Elite MC $11,200
Total CL - $115500

CH7 BK Filed 8/1/17 Discharged 11/7/17

Scores as of 2/18/21:

Inquiries Last 12 Months:
Message 2 of 7
Getty59
Regular Contributor

Congrats on the bike loan! 👍

NFCU More Rewards: $23,100

NFCU Cash Rewards: 25,000

Capital One Venture: $10,250
Message 3 of 7
twono
Frequent Contributor

@Getty59 wrote:

Congrats on the bike loan! 👍

Thanks but i didn't get a bike.  Just simply testing the waters for those looking at a motorcycle purchase post BK.  I am a bike enthusiast and have many bikes already.  But there's always room for more!

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I burned Harley in my BK.  OUCH.  I want a new one, but not yet.  Waiting a year or so and then, hopefully I can get a new trike (with a big, fat down payment to help).  Just had to chime in.  Thanks for that info you provided!

Message 5 of 7
twono
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I burned Harley in my BK.  OUCH.  I want a new one, but not yet.  Waiting a year or so and then, hopefully I can get a new trike (with a big, fat down payment to help).  Just had to chime in.  Thanks for that info you provided!

You'll get the ride back!   I ended up getting a new bike with Roadrunner after all.

Super easy, simple.  I ended up doing the 'formal' application through the dealership and they sent it to Roadrunner.  Since i was already in their 'pre-approved' system, i had contract sent to me via email and docu-signed the papers within an hour.

I had to shoot a copy of my I.D. to the dealer and that was it.  

They pulled EX Auto 8  - 672, 16 mos post DC

No proof of income was requested.

Loan is for $14,500, 12.99% which isn't bad for a motorcycle with a BK.  I'm gonna get it below $10k in the next 6 months and then refi with my CU, hopefully in the 7% range.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info! I may see what they offer depending on what my local CU says. They've been gret with us though, so I may not have to look any farther.

I'm not looking at an expensive bike, just a run of the mill sport touring rig mostly for commuting in the nicer seasons. 55mpg is much better that the 30mpg my Compass gets. Plus I can keep the miles down on the Compass and extend the warrany time. 

The bike I'm looking at is $5500 out the door and I was thinking of $1000 down, so basically financing $4500. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.