Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving While In BK Limbo.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Moving While In BK Limbo.

By limbo, I mean the waiting time after the meeting.*

I filed on Jan 9th and I have my 341 meeting on Feb 7th.

My fiance and I are looking into moving into an apartment so we can save on money.

Potential moving date is somewhere in March-April. 

Since the moving date is after my meeting but not yet within the amount of time to find out if I got discharged, do I need to notify my lawyers as soon as I know I'm moving/ my new address?

Would they charge more for doing this? Would they just update my info on their file and forward this info to the trustee?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Moving While In BK Limbo.

Anyone?

Message 2 of 6
Scupra
Super Contributor

I was hoping someone with more experience would chime in for you. I would first ask the apartments if they are ok with a non discharged BK.

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 3 of 6
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

I am a Realtor in Palm Beach county Florida and it is hard (here) if you haven't been discharged.  I didn't answer earlier because I didn't want to be a Negative Nancy type responder and I know rentals are more difficult in my area of the country than almost anywhere else (as far a qualifying for them). 

It is much easier here if you have a Bk to do the following:

• Stay away from apartments - especially those that are managed by large corporate managers
  • Get your Bk discharge - and don't look until you have it in hand
  • Have first month, last month and security deposit if your market requires it like our market here 
  • It is easier if you use a private landlord - Realtors can show you those properties.  In my area the landlord pays the commission, the tenant doesn't. Check with a trusted Realtor in your area to see how it works (In NY tenants pay the commission from what I have seen.)
  • It helps if you have steady employment
  • It also helps if you are a non-smoker 
  • No pets is a plus - but there are landlords that will accept a pet if you put up a security deposit for the pet in addition to your security deposit. The amount may be negotiable. 

Have the Realtor negotiate on your behalf. It is possible to get a rental, but far better to get one with your discharge in hand. Be honest with your Realtor so they can show you appropriate places that line up with your new budget. 

Message 4 of 6
Kaydee84
New Contributor

StartingOver, do you take broward county clients or have colleagues that do?
Message 5 of 6
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Kaydee84 wrote:
StartingOver, do you take broward county clients or have colleagues that do?

Yes, both. I take Broward clients and have colleagues that do as well Smiley Happy 

pm me at your convenience 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.