Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Amazing BK7 Bounce Back

tag
pianistas

My Amazing BK7 Bounce Back

Hi all,

I want to say thank you in advance for this forum, it's members and insightful information. Having said that, I want to share my experience with all here.

I recently received my BK7 discharge in May 2018. Since then, I read a lot of these posts in the forum and started experimenting with applications/preapprovals. 

Here are the banks IIB:

Chase

Capital One

Citi

AMEX

Discover

US Bank

Bank of America

Patelco

First, the bad news:

Discover Secured - denied due to Prior Account Status

Capital Secured - denied due to Prior Account Status

Paypal Mastercard -denied due to recent delinquency/public record

PenFed Credit Card - denied due to recent delinquency/public record. I had previously a car loan that paid in full with them and I was hoping with recon, I could get in using the backdoor. No go - rep told me I need a score near 700 to be consired. They pulled Eq. Was suprised that my past auto loan with them had no leverage.

And now the good news (approvals):

JCrew - $250 (SCT)

Williams Sonoma - $2000 (SCT)

Pottery Barn - $750 (SCT)

Sportsman Visa - $3000 (SCT)

Kohls - CLI $300 -> $700 (NIB and remained open)

Target - $500

OpenSky - $1000 (will be closing soon since fund availability is too slow for me)

Partnership Credit Union - Unsecured Platinum VISA $15,000 (This is not a mistake! It was based on paystubs and score pulled when I opened the account beginning of May 2018. Per rep, applying for any product (cc/loan) does not result in inquiry but existing report/score is good for 90 day)\

Partnership Credit Union - Auto Loan for $15,000 @5.74% APR

I have been checking weekly the Prequalifications for Capital One, Discover, AMEX, Bank of America and I am not getting any offers. I am surprised that many here get offers with Capital One so easily.

Wishlist/Nice to have

TR Visa - popup never appears for me

Nordstorm - thinking about it since it is offered by TDBank after being approved for Target credit card

Blispay - Mixed results reported make me think this is a hit more than a miss

A synchrony VISA/MC/Retail card - With the Paypal denial, I am afraid to try

A secured card by Citi or Bank Of America (Has anyone had any luck with these prior to 2 years after BK7 discharge?)

Any suggestions and advice would be appreciated!

And of course, I would be more than happy to answer questions that you maybe have.

Thank you again.

-Pianistas

10 REPLIES 10
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: My Amazing BK7 Bounce Back

Congrats on your success after your BK discharge.

In all honestly I think you need to just sit tight and let these account age a bit, I would recommend  not applying for anything else. Also I wouldn't do anymore SCTs, commenity can get spooked with too many accounts and shut them down rather quickly.

AMEX, Citi and Chase will all blacklist you since you included them in your BK, they all have long memories and some are on their list for 10+ years so I would not apply with those lenders for quite some time. Cap one is usually pretty quick to forgive.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 11
pianistas

Thank you for the quick response Jnbmom.

Yes, this would most likely be the safest thing to do. I just feel I have been on roll...Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 11
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Yes you should get back in with Cap one rather quickly, just let those age a bit and you will be in good shape. So far you are doing greatSmiley Happy

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 4 of 11
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

I would not open any more store cards or small loans.

I would check Merrick Bank for a no AF card.

I would keep checking back with Cap One and Discover, both are BK friendly and forgive burns eventually.

GL and Congrats!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 5 of 11
pianistas

Thanks shooting for 800 Smiley Happy

As far as Merrick Bank goes, I only see the Platinum and Secured Card on their site. I did tried for the double your line visa prequalification but did not have success on that one.

Is there a way to apply for platinum?
Which bureau do they pull? If I go for the secured one, can it graduate to unsecured?

Thank you again.
Message 6 of 11
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

You have to be prequal for Merrick, just keep checking back.

I dont really believe in secure cards.

I dont remember what CR they pull.

GL!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the approvals. My Bk was discharged 1 year and 4 months ago. Just was approved for nordstrom card yesterday (I couldnt resist applying due to the anniversary sale). Was instantly approved. Only $500 but hey its a start. So yes they seem to be Bk friendly

Message 8 of 11
pianistas

Thanks for sharing MissMo. And congrats on your approval as well.

I am assuming that your approval is for the store card, not the Visa, right? Did you know your score at the time? Did they pull EQ for you?
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Slow down and do your research here before applying for anything and everything.

You've applied for a ton of cards that are well known to be instant denials 2 months post discharge.  Just mentioning that for anyone else reading . . . 

Regardless, you ended up with a good start so garden for a good year and let those accounts age.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.