Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My BK Wife Wants to Get Back with Chase

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My BK Wife Wants to Get Back with Chase

Hello!

So this is my first post here.  So my wife had to file for bankruptcy less than two years ago due to medical issues (and before we got married).  We have been rebuilding her credit and what started at 500 is now 675.  She was never bad with money, she just needed a surgergy and didn't have insurance at the time which...well, that rarely ends well.

So she's doing better financially (it helps that we both have incomes now) and she has her eye on the Amazon, Disney, and ESPECIALLY the Starbucks cards!  Now...I know that she probably needs to wait at LEAST a couple more years before she will realistically even be considered for reward CC's!  Sadly, these cards are all by Chase, and a Chase card WAS burned in the BK!  It wasn't a lot (about $1.5k), but it was burned.  So, just looking for a ball park numbers here, what are some of the things we can starting doing to MAYBE get back into Chase's good graces?!  Aside from time that needs to be waiting, does offering to pay that old balance help, any tips would be helpful?

Also (on a much smaller note) I've been trying to figure out how to do that feature where the signature lists the CC's a person has, but I've been unable to figure out how to do that, so if anyone could help me out with that as well that would be great!

Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: My BK Wife Wants to Get Back with Chase

Sorry, chase blacklists for 10 years after a bk. Might be even longer since they were burned. Even if you pay them back it will still be 10 years because they are aware of the bk.

Message 2 of 7
pip3man
Valued Contributor

Unfortunately there's no cutting corners with Chase. At the bare minimum you're looking at a 10 year waiting period, could be more since she included them in the BK. And even voluntarily offering to pay them back in full won't move a needle either. Honestly besides time, the only possibility of getting back in early is if there's a favorable change in their general underwriting policies.

Message 3 of 7
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Also (on a much smaller note) I've been trying to figure out how to do that feature where the signature lists the CC's a person has, but I've been unable to figure out how to do that, so if anyone could help me out with that as well that would be great!

You cannot customize your signature until you've made enough posts to rank up to "Member"; here is a link on the how-to:

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 4 of 7
jmw1
Frequent Contributor

With a *NO BURN* chapter 7, it's still a 10 years blacklist at Chase.  And in your case, it is a burn which might result in a lifetime blacklist. I would NEVER EVER pay Chase $1500 trying to get back in because it probably won't work due to Chase's treatment of no burn bankruptcies. Just forget about it and move on.  With an Amex burn of a small amount less than $1000, it may be worth it to pay it back since there are reports that full repayment is enough to come off of the Amex blacklist.  The point being I'd pay a small Amex burn before I would ever consider paying Chase.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah...I honestly suspected as much.  This is all pretty much confirming what I probably already knew.  But thanks for the advice anyway!  Looking forward to posting more in these forums (seems like a fun place to hang)!

@jmw1 wrote:

With a *NO BURN* chapter 7, it's still a 10 years blacklist at Chase.  And in your case, it is a burn which might result in a lifetime blacklist. I would NEVER EVER pay Chase $1500 trying to get back in because it probably won't work due to Chase's treatment of no burn bankruptcies. Just forget about it and move on.  With an Amex burn of a small amount less than $1000, it may be worth it to pay it back since there are reports that full repayment is enough to come off of the Amex blacklist.  The point being I'd pay a small Amex burn before I would ever consider paying Chase.

Message 6 of 7
Caliboy97
Contributor

So I have heard that chase will blacklist you for 7 to 10 years even if they were not included in the bankruptcy. I would risk the hard pull. 

Bankruptcy Discharge 9/21/2020
Starting Scores

May Update (Moving)

Slow and Steady Rebuild. Around 15K in revolving credit at 2% and 45K Auto Loan! Hoping to start upping those limits over time.
Capital one Platinum and Quicksilver | Kia Financial 49K auto loan | Navy Fed Secure Card | OpenSky Secure Card | Schools First FCU Card | Grain account | KikOff Loan and credit account | Student Loans Perfect history 16K left
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.