Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Bankruptcy Journey

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Bankruptcy Journey

I am new to myfico. I have been a silent follower for about a month now, and you guys have some really encouraging stories. 

I recently filed my Chapter 7 on November 27th, and had my 341 meeting this morning. I know the biggest thing to rebuilding is to have  patience. My goal is to eventually buy a home with my husband, and establish healthy credit. I have no idea where to start, but I will be waiting until discharge before I attempt to open any lines of credit. I have taken the initiative to open a NFCU checking and saving, but have no idea really where to go from there. 

Open to all advance. 

thanks Smiley Happy 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: My Bankruptcy Journey

Congrats the burden will be over soon. Best way to help you is who got burned? And yes wait at least 60 days after DC to let all involved in the BK update your files. Come here and ask questions before you make any moves. Seen too many come here after DC asking for help due to going the wrong route the get back to where you were before. List who got burned and we'll help you out on which way to go.

Message 2 of 5
Faith_Hope
Valued Member

Hello AngelB!

You are almost at the finish line. I'm new here as well...1 year post bk7. I finally had the courage to post my journey today. Just know that you are not alone in yours. You will find great information on here to help w/ your rebuilding journey. I think NFCU secured CC would be a great start.

Feel free to take a read a bit about my journey. Hopefully this helps. https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/Rebuilding-Journey-Planning-to-purchase-a-home-after-2-y...

Blessings in 2022
Score Goals: 720
Fico 8 Scores
EQ:687 TU:679 EX:667
BK7 DIS: 12/2017
Current Cards
NFCU | Overstock | Ollo | First Premier | Merrick Bank | Capital One | Target | PayPal Credit | Capital One Walmart | Macy’s Amex |
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

My debt consisted more of hospital bills from a major surgery and the complications that followed. Some family financial burdens I took on, and plenty of other smaller accounts from not being knowledgeable about credit and debit!
A car I had, that went bad, as well as a co-signed car debt that was left on me from a family member.
I had only 1 credit card with Cap One, right before I filed. It was a secure card that I didn’t include but they closed it anyway. Also a Wells Fargo checking account! Bankruptcy was necessary for me because of my income at the time and one car loan attempting to garnish my wages. Smiley Sad
So it became overwhelming.
Thanks for your response
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Faith
I am leaning towards NFCU as well and I’ll check out that link as well Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.