Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Journey- almost 1 year post Chapter 7 discharge

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My Journey- almost 1 year post Chapter 7 discharge

@Anonymous wrote:

You should have your membership 'welcome' email from NLSD soon. I didn't wait for hard copies in the mail, just included a copy of the confirmation email when I did my initial app. Save yourself a headache and fax in the app, documents and your identification. It worked easy-peasy for me.

I know NFCU can pull a lot (and for every product) but they are great for rebuilders and people who are just starting their profiles.  They pulled EQ and TU for me when I joined and applied for my 1st Visa this last September but the latest thread that Credit Addict has going should give you a good idea. I would app them anyway because you can always recon via secured email if it comes to that.

We have a friend whose daughter joined and was offered a secured Visa. She was bummed but we all convinced her to take them up on the offer. She only had the card a few months before they removed the secured status and within a year she has a $10K card. Not bad for statring out with $500 of her own money!

When you app Navy, don't forget about apping for the CLOC as well. Smiley Happy

Thanks WD!

What did you use for ID Docs? I am planning on getting my SS Card replaced (2 weekish for that) and using my DL...

I have the Welcome email, but as I am not scoring at all yet on TU, I am thinking waiting a month to at least get me 2 new accts (PenFed $18K and Local CU $500) to show to at least have some score on my TU...then pending scoring, will look to start building my relationship with them...My EQ is strong currently at 718 FICO 08 and should build nicely with the new accounts in time.

I am in this for the slow and steady run...I am also looking at the Alliant CU Savings Secured Loan to get an Installment on there for scoring, I might even be able to get it on this next cycle. IF you or anyone has feedback on that...all input is valued and appreciated!

I will definitely look into apping the CLOC when applying...

Didn't mean to hijack your thread Smiley Wink

I truly appreciate your direction!!!

I am off to read Credit Addict's post on NFCU now.

Message 21 of 27
Helpmeraiseit
Valued Member

I dont know what else to say but absolutely amazing!!!!!

I look forward to continuing to hear about your journey.

Message 22 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ Liquid_Movz that sounds like a solid plan. 

I used my Driver's License and social security card when opening my savings account. I'm sure you already have it covered but just make sure your license address matches the address on your credit reports so everything is straight forward. I would definately make sure that PenFed card is reporting as you mentioned, it's a great SL! You'll get all kinds of info (far more than I know) from Credit Addict, there are several of those threads, some are older, but I read them all.

No worries about hijacking lol...we're all here for the same reason! Smiley Happy

Can't wait to hear how it goes with Alliant and NFCU!

Message 23 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a lot Helpmeraiseit, really appreciate it!

If I can make progress, anyone can lol Smiley Happy

How's your journey going? Love to hear about it when you have some time!

Message 24 of 27
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

Very inspiring Wade...gives me hope. 

BTW, i'm also in the PDX area and qualify for membership at Northwest Community CU...I may give them a ring in a few months after building some and letting the BK age some. 

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 25 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ j...casteel congrats on your discharge! It's such a great feeling to have the BK in the rear view mirror.

I have to say at the end of the day, make sure to check out Advantis Credit Union as well. I have found over the last few months that they are even more BK friendly and really a common sense credit union. Friends of mine and I have noticed Northwest Community tightening up as of late. If you have the resources available, I would start to establish a relationship with Advantis now by opening a savings.  Membership is easy, just need to be a resident of one of a zillion counties in Oregon or Washington. After you have a couple of cards that have aged six months, I would try for their Visa or an auto loan if you need one. Their loan officers are amazing and really want to help. Just be prepared for POI on everything and an EQ pull for each product. They will really keep tabs on your DTI as well but will work with you.

Glad to know I have some company up here in the PDX area...hope you didn't have any trouble with the weather last week...yikes...it was wild to see all the ice everywhere!

If I can do anything to help, please let me know and congrats again on your fresh start. That Cap One card will be a great start, it helped me a bunch.

Go Ducks lol!

Smiley LOLSmiley LOL

Message 26 of 27
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@ j...casteel congrats on your discharge! It's such a great feeling to have the BK in the rear view mirror.

I have to say at the end of the day, make sure to check out Advantis Credit Union as well. I have found over the last few months that they are even more BK friendly and really a common sense credit union. Friends of mine and I have noticed Northwest Community tightening up as of late. If you have the resources available, I would start to establish a relationship with Advantis now by opening a savings.  Membership is easy, just need to be a resident of one of a zillion counties in Oregon or Washington. After you have a couple of cards that have aged six months, I would try for their Visa or an auto loan if you need one. Their loan officers are amazing and really want to help. Just be prepared for POI on everything and an EQ pull for each product. They will really keep tabs on your DTI as well but will work with you.

Glad to know I have some company up here in the PDX area...hope you didn't have any trouble with the weather last week...yikes...it was wild to see all the ice everywhere!

If I can do anything to help, please let me know and congrats again on your fresh start. That Cap One card will be a great start, it helped me a bunch.

Go Ducks lol!

Smiley LOLSmiley LOL

Thanks for the info...I'll definitely check both out.  

Hoping to wait about 6mos give or take and then joining to do a refi on my wifes van and then hopefully get me a car.  A nice card from them would be nice too. 

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.