Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Rebuild...

tag
texasguppie
Regular Contributor

My Rebuild...

My no-asset BK7 has been discharged (July 11th, 2017) and closed.
I have both letters from the court in hand.
I pulled credit reports yesterday; EQUIFAX has all accounts listed as INCLUDED IN BANKRUPTCY with ZERO BALANCES.
EXPERIAN lists all accounts as CHAPTER 7 BANKRUPTCY with ZERO balances.
Do I need to dispute those accounts to have them read IIB?
TRANSUNION will mail my report to me as I have an open dispute with them and was unable to view the report online.
Onto new CC trade lines; Credit One approved me for $500.
I'm not happy to have that card in my wallet but it's my plan to not need it beyond the first year.
I'll only use it for my myFico.com 3B monthly subscription.
Capital One's prequalification site says they "have no offers for me at this time" but suggested I "might like" their Platinum card (no annual fee, high interest) or their secured card.
I burned them in the BK on two of their cards for a total of about $3k.
I resisted the temptation of applying for the suggested cards as I didn't want the hard inquiry.
I'm building my savings account at my Credit Union so I can apply for a secured Credit Builder loan of $500.
I should be ready to pull the trigger on that in about a month (I feel good about it as my neighbor is the Manager of my branch and aware of my situation.)
I'm also going to ask her for advice on a credit card from them as I'm endeavoring to get the suggested three CC trade lines going.
Any other thoughts?
Am I on track or do I need to be doing something differently?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My Rebuild...

Hi, texasguppie, congrats on getting past your BK DC. Definitely not a fun process, but now the rebuilding can begin. It sounds like you are on the right track.

I never had a pre-qual on Cap1 back when I started, but a few weeks after I got my CreditOne card, I apped and got the Platinum. I had waited about 6 months after DC, so I don't know if that makes a difference. Just having CreditOne report should bump your scores, I think. Don't worry, they are not great but can definitely help you. Just be sure to pay in full as soon as the statement cuts, and cancel before the 12 month mark. I lasted 7 months, and by then my other cards were so beyond them that I couldn't bear having it in my wallet anymore!

My only CC suggestions would be checking out Merrick's pre-qualifier after your scores bump up a little. Merrick is at the top of the rebuilder cards because they are not a predatory lender that is going to charge you ridiculous fees. Also, if you have a pathway to joining NFCU, they are absolutely awesome for rebuilders and they are known for being BK friendly and known for good credit line increases.

Anyhoo, I'm really looking forward to seeing your updates on how your rebuild is progressing! Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 4
texasguppie
Regular Contributor

Unfortunately I burned Merrick (for less than $1k) in my BK7.
I'm praying that with C1 and my CU I might be able to get back in the good graces of Cap1.
I also burned Amex and Discover, both for less than $2k each.
My goal...my CC Recovery FINISH LINE, will be to one day have Amex and Discover back in my wallet.
Thanks for your encouragement and support.
Message 3 of 4
kobe2012
Established Contributor

Try capital one ... if you're blacklisted they won't pull your credit ... and credit one helped me rebuild... close it as soon AF hits... also try discover in six months.... if u didn't burn them

Starting Score: MYFICO 12/30/15 -TU: 481, EQ:561, EX:532 - BK7 DISCHARGED 12/2015 - Current: 09/01/2016 TU:642 EQ: 651 EX: 646
NFCU cashRewards:$6200 QS:$1500 Merrick:$1200 Cabelas:$1000 SonyVisa: $500 JCrew:$850 Overstock:$850 Express: $1050 PaypalCredit:$2150 NAVCHECK:$10K
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.