cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My bankruptcy journey begins...

tag
mich800
Regular Contributor

Re: Talk to or avoid the credit card companies?

@masscredit wrote:

I missed paying two cards the beginning of the month. They didn't waste any time with phone calls, emails and snail mail letters. I only hear calls from people in my contacts list so that will make life easier and I can ignore emails/letters. There are 12 more cards that I won't be paying this month so I think they will be contacting me constantly. Should I let them know I can't afford to pay or avoid them until I file in a couple of months? 

If it is a forgone conclusion you will be filing BK very soon it probably does not matter.  If you think there is a chance you can dig out than contacting them would be best.  Do not tell them you are contemplating filing as they will probably not work with you to implement a resolution to get current again.  It all depends on what your end game is.

Message 21 of 93
masscredit
Valued Contributor

@mich800 wrote:

@masscredit wrote:

I missed paying two cards the beginning of the month. They didn't waste any time with phone calls, emails and snail mail letters. I only hear calls from people in my contacts list so that will make life easier and I can ignore emails/letters. There are 12 more cards that I won't be paying this month so I think they will be contacting me constantly. Should I let them know I can't afford to pay or avoid them until I file in a couple of months? 

If it is a forgone conclusion you will be filing BK very soon it probably does not matter.  If you think there is a chance you can dig out than contacting them would be best.  Do not tell them you are contemplating filing as they will probably not work with you to implement a resolution to get current again.  It all depends on what your end game is.

I'll definately be filing for BK. I'm to far under to try.

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 22 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you're going to file and you can't afford to pay any CC debt just ignore them. Do you have assets? If you don't have assets I wouldn't pay an attorney but would still seek out two different free consults to get an idea of your situation. Now would be the time to withdraw any funds from CUs or banks that you have CC debt with.

You will rebound from BK, stay positive.

Message 23 of 93
masscredit
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you're going to file and you can't afford to pay any CC debt just ignore them. Do you have assets? If you don't have assets I wouldn't pay an attorney but would still seek out two different free consults to get an idea of your situation. Now would be the time to withdraw any funds from CUs or banks that you have CC debt with.

You will rebound from BK, stay positive.

I have a 7 year old car that is paid off. It's worth about $5-6K.  I don't own a home and no stocks. Money in the banks is enough to cover my monthly bills. For the banks that I have cc debt with, I now just have enough in them to keep the accounts open. Have also redeemed all CC rewards. 

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 24 of 93
masscredit
Valued Contributor

How aggressive will collections get (credit cards)?

I'm coming up on 30 days late for the first two cards that I didn't pay this month (Cap1). It didn't take long for them to put a document in my inbox to remind me to pay. I'm also getting nice emails that say things like "Hey, we know life gets busy and you probably forgot". There have also been calls and letters to remind me. This applies to them and the rest of the cards that I didn't pay. Should I expect more and more of this as time goes on and at what point will I start getting letters from their attorneys?

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 25 of 93
kr43002
Frequent Contributor

Re: How aggressive will collections get (credit cards)?

You shouldn't have to much of a hard time if you are just barely becoming late. However I believe you are in the wrong message board, unless you meant to post this in the bk chat. If you are going through bk, and are about to file, if a collector calls, let them know your situation and your attorney if you have one. Most leave you alone.
BK CH7 1/21 DC 5/21
1+ Year Post BK
Credit Limit: 6000
EDC: QuickSilver 1 1.5% $39 AF
Oldest Account: Tire Card $500 0% APR 6 Months After purchase. 2018. (Survived Bankruptcy)
Message 26 of 93
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I'll be filing BK in a few months.

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 27 of 93
kr43002
Frequent Contributor

@masscredit wrote:

I'll be filing BK in a few months.

Then I would just be honest with the Creditors. Tell them that you plan on filing in a couple months. Some might stop contacting, others wont. Just depends on who you are behind on.
BK CH7 1/21 DC 5/21
1+ Year Post BK
Credit Limit: 6000
EDC: QuickSilver 1 1.5% $39 AF
Oldest Account: Tire Card $500 0% APR 6 Months After purchase. 2018. (Survived Bankruptcy)
Message 28 of 93
TattnallTrio
Frequent Contributor

Early stage collectors (1-90 days delinquent) are usually friendly. You mentioned filing bankrupt and I agree most will leave you alone. If they don't, you can ask them to not contact you by phone anymore - and they have to stop, per the FDCPA. 

Message 29 of 93
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Calls that aren't in my contacts are silenced so those don't really bother me.  They've only left a couple of messages. 

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 30 of 93
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.