Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My journey thus far after Chapter 7 - 8 months post discharge

tag
jayhawk05
Valued Member

My journey thus far after Chapter 7 - 8 months post discharge

Hey all, I just wanted to share my journey after filing for Chapter 7 bankruptcy, hoping that I can help anyone in the same situation and will glady take any advice and feedback for my journey going forward. After a nasty divorce leaving me with only my clothes, laptop and a NFCU credit card with a 25k credit limit, I moved back in with my parents. To get everything needed for my own place and while finding a new job, I maxed out that credit in about two years. After the all the calls and bank account garnishments (checking with NFCU as well), I filed for Chapter 7 in March 2021; it was discharged in June of 2021.  Since then, I have been given the following lines of credit:

6/2021 - Mission Lane - $1,000 limit

8/2021 - Capital One Platnium - $300 limit

8/2021 - Mercury - $1,100 limit (increased from $750 in 12/21)

11/21 - Local credit union auto loan, 3.9% as a joint account

1/22 - Kohls - $300 limit

My scores are as follow (FICO 8):

EQ - 646

EX - 633

TU - 657

My goals in the near future are to apply for a Military STAR card to add another positive tradeline as I have heard they are very BK friendly. I also would like to buy a new home in mid-2023 with the VA home loan and secure a Capital One Venture card. 

FICO 8 as of 4/27/2023:

Current Cards:

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
MileHigh96
Frequent Contributor

Re: My journey thus far after Chapter 7 - 8 months post discharge

I would highly recommend getting in with PenFed. Three months post discharge I opened a savings account with them, and then four months post discharge I applied for one of their cards and was approved with a $6K limit, which is by far the highest of any of the lines I opened post discharge. They are very BK friendly.
BK7 discharged - 06JUL2021
Loans:

Revolving Accounts (in the order they were opened):

Closed accounts:
Message 2 of 5
Irv02
Established Contributor

You seem to be moving right along!! Congrats on all of your approvals!!

Message 3 of 5
jayhawk05
Valued Member

@MileHigh96 wrote:
I would highly recommend getting in with PenFed. Three months post discharge I opened a savings account with them, and then four months post discharge I applied for one of their cards and was approved with a $6K limit, which is by far the highest of any of the lines I opened post discharge. They are very BK friendly.

Thanks! I just opened up a saving account with them. I appreaciate the help!

FICO 8 as of 4/27/2023:

Current Cards:

Message 4 of 5
jayhawk05
Valued Member

@Irv02 wrote:

You seem to be moving right along!! Congrats on all of your approvals!!

Thank you!

FICO 8 as of 4/27/2023:

Current Cards:

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.