Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My rebuild since discharge of 2/21/19**updated info**

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My rebuild since discharge of 2/21/19**updated info**

Hi y’all!
Experian score was 546 after discharge with 26k in student loans reporting, got a cap1 card with a 300 limit and it was unsecured

Experian only has 2 inquires, Equifax has 6 with 2 falling off this year. 2 are inquiries from two different credit unions (1 for a share secured loan that hubby is co-signed on because he has no student loans or any debt - it’s through my employer though so I had to be on it) and the other for a credit union that we will be getting a visa through and opened checking with. The other two are from Ollo and Cap1 so almost no wasted inquiries!!! TransUnion has 2

Last night I got a 100 credit limit increase on cap1 platinum and am still in credit steps, my credit report from Experian shows my score at 643 with 2% util showing. I got an invitation to Ollo for their rewards card with no annual fee (my cap1 also has no annual fee) and received a SL with 500! So that is nice.

I’m going to either go get a secured visa from our credit union since we need to rent a SUV for 2 weeks while on vacation and use that and then with my mid year bonus pay it all off (1000.00 limit on a secured card is what I’d do, using some of my savings) but I’m still mulling it over.

So overall 2 unsecured cards and a secured loan in 3 months of rebuild. No waisted inquires because I read the wonderful stuff everyone said and just waited patiently. It gets hard but the best financial advise I received after filing bankruptcy was from a financial coach who said “if you want it today, make sure you want it 3 months from now, and if you still want it 3 months from now it’s worth the wait.”

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My rebuild since discharge of 2/21/19

Did you burn Cap1 when you filed?
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I burned them for a platinum (600 bal) and a quick silver (2300 bal), however they had charged off
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

update 

so I applied for care credit because my son needs two dental extractions and the pediatrician dentist is only covered 50% by my dental insurance and I was denied.  DP are the same as above at this point.

flip side, I talked to my credit union about the secured credit card and they will only do secured products with a reporting bankruptcy HOWEVER they go for review for graduation 10 month to 14 months and will unsecure.  I clarified with the underwriter, will my bankruptcy be brought back up during review and they won’t unsecure? And she said no, she said that her and her team of 5 will be the ones who review and take into consideration my payments, usage, and util.  I asked if they pull my credit when it graduates, she said yes.  So I’m excited about this so far, it sounds good and I will get a notification when they think it’s a good time to review because my credit will be pulled 😅. THEN THE CHERRY ON TOP.  She said it’s 500 to open, I said that sounds fine, however I’m expecting my mid year bonus and I’d rather have a cushy limit of 1500 so I might have to wait until that comes in, she said I can open the credit card and add money to it’s saving account to increase my limit whenever! And the savings account accrues interest, she said if I pay in full every month that I could end up making interest in the savings and having to not pay interest on credit.  Credit unions are really angels, and never hesitate to ask a lot of questions - it’s your credit, and it’s their business to know you mean business! So tomorrow I’m signing the paperwork and getting this card, hoping that it can grow big with me especially if I feed it often.  The apr is 9.99% which is AMAZING compared to my OLLO and Cap1. 

Oh oh and don’t worry, I only applied for care credit to make my life a bit easier financially for getting my sons tooth extractions done and paying for them, but it has been finding oral surgeon that specializes in pediatrics and working with his primary dentist that’s began in March, and the people we found are very understanding and very accommodating but I’ve also began to save based on the estimate of what it would be.  So please don’t worry about that, that’s a separate savings - I was just shooting my luck because the stars have been pretty aligned for me haha. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.