Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My story I NEED INSIGHT.

tag
RecoveringShopaholic
New Contributor

Re: My story I NEED INSIGHT.

obtaining student loans is possible if you show either a discharge or you notify the court for permission and give that to the fin aid office.  I was in a 13 and the fin aid office was unaware of how to deal with my bk.  I researched and challenged them and they determined they were wrong and gave me my loan after I showed that I was eligible.  (alot of faxing).  I wouldnt file bk if i were you.  though it may be too late because even if you file and withdraw/dismiss it shows up on the CR and has the same effect.  In hindsight, I was like you thought it was unmanageable due to the stress, but actually, alot of those places will work out a payment arrangement for pennies.  Its sux but easier than having the bk looming for 10 years.  Good luck

Starting Score: 479 (TU) 481 (EQ) 508 (EX FAKO) November 2011
Current Score: 687 (TU 3/26/2012 Lender pull) 658 (EQ 3/15/12 Score Watch) 640 (EX FAKO)
Goal Score: 740+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 11 of 15
DrJim
Frequent Contributor

I'm sorry to tell you this, but you will not be repaired in two years.  First, it stays on your CR for 10 years.  Secondly, there are applications out there (like for mortgages) that ask if you have ever filed a BK.  You will also be barred from some jobs with a BK. And forget the apartment - they do credit checks. 

Good luck with your finances, but seriously consider what this is going to do to you life for a long time.

Starting Score: TU 672 EQ 654 10/20/09
Current Score: TU 775 EQ 783 EX 799 (PLUS)
AMEX Delta Platinum $35K, NFCU Visa Signature $30K, HHonors Reserve Visa $35K, WF $13.5K, IHG Rewards Club MC $25K
Message 12 of 15
missji
Regular Contributor

Bankruptcy should be your last resort. That said, if you do file, it will NOT ruin your life as some would have you believe. You will be able to get credit not long after you receive a discharge. I know this from personal experience. And if you are diligent in rebuilding a good credit history, your bankruptcy will be a mere credit "hiccup" in the long run. While its true that there are some companies who will not hire you, this is a rarity. Again, I know this from personal experience - I am an HR professional and have been in human resources for 15 years. If you do file, the important thing is to start the rebuilding process as soon as you can and to take steps to ensure that you don't find yourself in the situation you are right now. That will probably mean making some sacrifices as you save save save your money (stack that cash!). So when hard times come around again, you have the means to take care of your obligations.
Gardening as of June 2020. No activity until January 2023 unless it's an auto CLI.
Starting Scores (6/30/2020): EQ 640 | EX 660 | TU 658
Current Scores (05/22/2021): EQ 678 | EX 714 | TU 689
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 13 of 15
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

I think he may have signed and got this underway already gang.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 14 of 15
Comet21
Regular Contributor

I do not think he was near bankruptcy stage yet.

Starting Score: TU 477 EQ 533 BK 1/27/2012
Current Score: EX 702 TU 681 EQ 652 1/10/2014
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.