Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Love

tag
shadanat
Frequent Contributor

NFCU Love

So many people have praise NFCU after bk and now I can be one of them. Bk discharged in September. Applied for a secured card in October after being denied for GoRewards. I put up $500. May 4th, I upped that limit to $900. This morning I logged onto my account and saw that I have a $2000 limit and that $900 is in my savings account.

I have heavy usage of this card but I also pay this card of weekly. Navy must have taken that into consideration when deciding to unsecure me before the one year mark.

I also opened that Special rate CD and an IRA with them earlier this year.

I feel really confident about closing my OpenSky card now. No annual fee for me.

Patience is really the key.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: NFCU Love

@shadanat wrote:
So many people have praise NFCU after bk and now I can be one of them. Bk discharged in September. Applied for a secured card in October after being denied for GoRewards. I put up $500. May 4th, I upped that limit to $900. This morning I logged onto my account and saw that I have a $2000 limit and that $900 is in my savings account.

I have heavy usage of this card but I also pay this card of weekly. Navy must have taken that into consideration when deciding to unsecure me before the one year mark.

I also opened that Special rate CD and an IRA with them earlier this year.

I feel really confident about closing my OpenSky card now. No annual fee for me.

Patience is really the key.

Congrats.   Navy is the best.   Do you have other open revolving cards?   You need to have at least three open so if these are your only two cards, don't close OpenSky until you have two more open revolving -- so when you close Open Sky you will still have three open revolving accounts.   Have you tried Discover secured or Capital One unsecured?

Message 2 of 8
shadanat
Frequent Contributor

Hi Ch-7 Rebuilding,

I do have a Capital One card and two store cards. Discover was burned in bk so they aren't showing love.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not to hijack this thread but I had a question about the credit card thing after BK.  We are NFCU members but the last time I app'd for one of their credit cards I was declined and upon recon I was told their guidelines are to wait 1 year post discharge before they will approve, which contradicts what I've been reading on these forums lately.

I have a Discover IT Secured card in my name, two store cards that I never use honestly, and I'm an authorized user on my wife's secured NFCU nRewards card.  Do I still need to get at least two more real credit cards in my name or am I good for now?  I'd really rather not go after CreditOne, Indigo, Merrick, or OpenSky as I don't want to pay any AFs.  I burned Capital One in our BK but the charge off date was last Sept.  Nothing on their pre-qualify site but when I applied the only negative was the number of inquiries which would make sense since we just bought my truck back in August and I made the mistake of trusting the dealer to not shotgun it around.

Thank you in advance!

Message 4 of 8
shadanat
Frequent Contributor

Did you apply for a regular card or the secured version? I made the mistake of applying for the cashRewards card post bankruptcy and in the letter they suggested the Secured card which is what I did. I also think YMMV with how Navy treats you. When were you discharged?

The store cards should be fine and maybe put small charges on them so that they get use but pay in full.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Filed 12-2017, discharged 4-2018

I am an authorized user on my wife's NFCU nRewards Secured that she got in July.  Like my Discover Secured (which she's an AU on) we pay it off in full every month.  We are looking forward to the day that both cards graduate.

Message 6 of 8
shadanat
Frequent Contributor

I would say give it a couple of months with Navy and that card should unsecure. Maybe the December/January time frame
Message 7 of 8
stinastina
Established Contributor

Congrats, shadanat !

It won't be long before you get huge love from Navy ! I got my CR about 4 months out of discharge and the limit was $500. It stayed that way for a little over a year despite me hitting the luv button constantly. Each time it was a HP. Just remember Navy loves to HP. You may luck up with a soft pull after the AR.

After my year and a few months was up, my cli was doubled to $1000. Then a few months later, I got a rare auto CLI to $2000. A few months later, I hit the luv button and got $6000 total. I PC'ed to the Flagship and apped for the Navy Amex. My starting CL was $15k !! My largest ever. I also have CLOC totaling $15k. So they have been very good to me.

BK7 Discharge 1/16
10/15 ~ EQ: 406; TU: 520
10/18 ~ EX: 666; TU: 646; EQ: 652
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.