Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU after BK

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU after BK

iamwickedbeauty wrote:

I discharged on 6/29 and because I had taken care of having credit reports updated prior to discharge I applied yesterday (as soon as I saw my CR's showed I was discharged) and was apporved for a $1000 CL.  I do not know if the result is typical, but I am grateful nonetheless.  

Awesome ! ! !

Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Prematurely (prior to d/c) I applied and was appproved for a Credit One early June with a $400 CL.  I don't see it as being reported on my CR's yet.  However, I am listed as an AU on my husband's Navy Federal for a $1600 CL.  That card is new, and hasn't had a statement cut yet, but does show as a new account on my CR's.  Not sure if that played into my approval or not and they didn't ask me for any additional docs. Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

iamwickedbeauty wrote:

Prematurely (prior to d/c) I applied and was appproved for a Credit One early June with a $400 CL.  I don't see it as being reported on my CR's yet.  However, I am listed as an AU on my husband's Navy Federal for a $1600 CL.  That card is new, and hasn't had a statement cut yet, but does show as a new account on my CR's.  Not sure if that played into my approval or not and they didn't ask me for any additional docs. Smiley Happy

Congratz,

My uneducated guess is if your DH's statement w/ Navy wasn't cut yet, you probably got your individual Navy card on your own!

Not sure that  a computer system would be "coded"  to pick up that type of information in such a short time frame.

Congratz to You ! ! !

Message 13 of 20
kobe2012
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I discharged on 6/29 and because I had taken care of having credit reports updated prior to discharge I applied yesterday (as soon as I saw my CR's showed I was discharged) and was apporved for a $1000 CL.  I do not know if the result is typical, but I am grateful nonetheless.  

Congrats! What were your scores?

Starting Score: MYFICO 12/30/15 -TU: 481, EQ:561, EX:532 - BK7 DISCHARGED 12/2015 - Current: 09/01/2016 TU:642 EQ: 651 EX: 646
NFCU cashRewards:$6200 QS:$1500 Merrick:$1200 Cabelas:$1000 SonyVisa: $500 JCrew:$850 Overstock:$850 Express: $1050 PaypalCredit:$2150 NAVCHECK:$10K
Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I havent signed up for the FICO scores yet, but according to CK my TU is 641 and my EQ just droped to 556!  EQ was showing about 618 a week or so ago.

Message 15 of 20
hpotterfan77
Regular Contributor

I was able to join and receive an nRewards card with them within 2 weeks post discharge.  I only have savings with them and I was able to get one increase on my credit limit with them after begging and pleading and then switched the card to a Cash Rewards card.  Next to most on this site, I haven't had all that great experience with them but I don't keep much in the bank with them either so who knows.

Starting Scores (9/19): EQ - 474/TU - 528/EX - 502
Current Scores (09/22): EQ - 617- TU - 638/EX - 647
Comenity M/C - $6730.00, BJs Perks MC - $2800.00, Credit One - $1200.00, Credit One - $800.00, NFCU -$6300.00, Care Credit - $5000.00, William Sonoma - $3500.00, Overstock - $4100.00, Pottery Barn - $2000.00>
Message 16 of 20
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I havent signed up for the FICO scores yet, but according to CK my TU is 641 and my EQ just droped to 556!  EQ was showing about 618 a week or so ago.

It's CK, dont lose sleep over it!

CK scores: TU 688  /   EQ 703

Far from my real FICO scores Smiley Happy

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 17 of 20
Vegas4Play
Valued Contributor

Is there a time line for your rebuild? Do you need their credit products right now? I did not see when your discharge was but maybe waiting a little while (6months t 1 yr.) will net you better terms (apr) and high SL. JMO.....I was approved for membership and opened the Check/Sav. I do not plan to open any credit products until next year. I have been DC from CH13 11 months now.

Fico 8's TU 756/ EQ 754/ EX 743- 8/2020// AAoA 5.7 years // Lines August 2020 = 619k Personal - Business 61k // Inquiries 6 TU - 0 Exp - 0 Eq.
Message 18 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Vegas4Play wrote:

Is there a time line for your rebuild? Do you need their credit products right now? I did not see when your discharge was but maybe waiting a little while (6months t 1 yr.) will net you better terms (apr) and high SL. JMO.....I was approved for membership and opened the Check/Sav. I do not plan to open any credit products until next year. I have been DC from CH13 11 months now.

Yes, I have a timeline - I've posted the long version of my rebuild so far here, but the gist of it is that I am trying to get my credit rebuilt to a point where by the time my current auto lease is up (Jul 2017) I will be able to either refinance it into a purchase (I do love the car) or finance a decent replacement - otherwise I will have no way to get to work and things get REALLY exciting! Smiley Very Happy

As it stands, I'm following a somewhat tweaked version of SM's 700/24 rebuild model - I'm rebuilding mine and my DW's credit simultaneously, and right now we each have 1 CC and 2-3 installment loans reporting (the lease (which I was amazed by), my student loans, and her Alliant loan).  I'll be adding new CC's sometime around November if I stick to timeline, and from what I've learned I will be giving NFCU my business at that time. Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

New "NAVY" cc holder here ! ! !

* just approved today, only 67 days post CH 13 Bk.

a "safe" period of time for me to wait was to have my Fico 8 Scores rise, and this happened after my Pen Fed CU cc reported to all three CRAs.

Given that you have an existing plan & strategy, I would just continue to update and modify it as you learn new facts.

The key to this is that we know our own status and situation best.

Do it when you are ready, and know ti will be worth the HP.

Best Wishes ! ! !

TygerHawke wrote:

Looking for opinions and experiences here:  How far post-BK, assuming one did not burn them, is it generally considered 'safe' (not a waste of a HP) to apply for NFCU credit products?  I just secured my membership and checking/savings last week, and want to include them in my rebuild

All thoughts welcome!

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.