Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU approval possibility?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU approval possibility?

Hi Everyone!

I am 1 year post bk as of February 21st 2019. I have been holding out on joining NFCU because of their 1 year post bankruptcy approval for unsecured credit lines.

I have an auto loan and 3 credit cards. 1 store card, discover and capital one. All cards are at a zero balance and my current scores are 680, 672 and 669.

I would love to apply for NFCU account and then afterwards a credit card same day. Does anyone think I have a shot at getting in so quickly after my 1 year discharge date?

Thanks for any and all feedback!
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: NFCU approval possibility?

You don't have to wait 1 yr to "join", and far as their secured card goes, it does graduate, and sometimes early! I was very lucky many years ago in the sense that my DC was 08/2013, and 10/2018 I joined with checking and savings, and reconned a cc denial app to $500 unsecured.

Almost 6 years later, Ive had several CC's thru them, (and one of them currently sits $45)k, and Ive had a paid off refinanced car loan, and currently LOC at $15k (max). If you treat them well, then will in return.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree that the secured card is the way to go. If you apply for an unsecured and your discharge is less than 24 months old (but greater than 12 months), the max credit limit they should assign you is $1,000.

Had you opened a secured card, you could have seen the card graduate and automatically obtain credit limit increases above $1,000. This doesn't help you now, but it may help others holding off on getting a credit card with NFCU after bankruptcy.

Message 3 of 8
ani86a
Established Member

I was discharged from Ch 13 on 2/15 (less than 2 weeks ago) and was approved for an NFCU Go Rewards yesterday. It’s absolutely possible for you to be approved for an unsecured card with them!
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ani86a wrote:
I was discharged from Ch 13 on 2/15 (less than 2 weeks ago) and was approved for an NFCU Go Rewards yesterday. It’s absolutely possible for you to be approved for an unsecured card with them!

Technically, Navy Federal's undewriting guidelines do not differentiate between Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 bankruptcies. A loan officer familiar with the guidelines should have caught this, if your application was manually reviewed. What I think is more likely is that the application was either auto approved, or the loan officer noticed a filing date of 1+ years ago and moved forward with the application.

I would suspect that if you filed Chapter 7, your application would have been declined. With that in mind, it can't hurt to apply for unsecured, and ask them to re-use the credit pull for a secured card if not approved.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

We are with NFCU and will be 1 year post DC in April. They have yet to approve me for an unsecured card. My wife got a secured card with them in July and it just graduated, from $500 to $2000. Try for an unsecured card and if denied get a secured.
Message 6 of 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi Everyone!

I am 1 year post bk as of February 21st 2019. I have been holding out on joining NFCU because of their 1 year post bankruptcy approval for unsecured credit lines.

I have an auto loan and 3 credit cards. 1 store card, discover and capital one. All cards are at a zero balance and my current scores are 680, 672 and 669.

I would love to apply for NFCU account and then afterwards a credit card same day. Does anyone think I have a shot at getting in so quickly after my 1 year discharge date?

Thanks for any and all feedback!

Great advise by all the posters. Though I noticed you said all cards are at 0 balance. Thats a ding. Have one card report $20 and let it report and then pay it. You want to stay at AZEO (All Zero Except One) at least. No reported balances FICO doesnt like too much. Welcome to the forums!

Message 7 of 8
Bamact

I was just approved today for a secured card through NFCU. I was discharged 9/18. So I would highly recommend joining and applying for one.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.