Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU cap one credit cards please help chp 7

tag
SSH0126
Established Contributor

Re: NFCU post Chp 7 BK

No. So if I pay the balance the funds would go to the card and not come back to me after closing the account because I owe that amount 800.00
Message 21 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

When are you going to file? There is a rule about preferential payments in the 90 days leading up to the bankruptcy. Those are payments over $600.

I wouldn't worry about saving any CC's or accounts at this time. It seems like that is important to you. What I would advise is to get to an attorney, get all the papers together, decide on what to reaffirm and then as everything is making its way through the process, start making your plan of attack for rebuilding. My scores rose significantly after the discharge just by nature of the accounts updating and some even fell off. After the reports are clean, you will find creditors ready to help you rebuild.

With NFCU, I would temporarily move my banking elsewhere during the process, keeping the checking and savings open. After the discharge, bring my banking back. Let the dust settle and call to see if you can pay them back. If they take you back for credit products you'll have to pay them back first.

There's a great thread by soulmaster to get your rebuild going, follow it and you'll be well in your way :-)
Message 22 of 49
SSH0126
Established Contributor

No that's not what's most important to me. I am reading the post now!
Message 23 of 49
SSH0126
Established Contributor

Can someone advise why we should move banking elsewhere? 

Was she saying to leave the checkings and savings open at a 0.00 or completley close everything for now we only have checkings savings and one secured credit card 

Also, when to go back to NFCU? 

Message 24 of 49
Scupra
Super Contributor

If you burn NFCU they could potentially freeze accounts and create a headache for you
Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 25 of 49
SSH0126
Established Contributor

Oh no that makes perfect sense. Now a couple of questions. I am seeing that some attorneys/trustees are asking for many months of bank statements what if we are closing our current bank account would they still make us go to the bank and ask for statements for the closed account? 

Also I thought about the question you asked me regarding the Navy secured card I was sleepy when I intially answered and the question makes sense..I am going to call the credit card dept in the morning and ask if I can close the credit card and what will happen to the funds once they have closed the card. The balance is 799.00 and credit limit is 800.00

Message 26 of 49
SSH0126
Established Contributor

Another question say we retain our attorney in August and he files should we go ahead and close our navy accounts now? Have direct deposits changed to new account or funds put on a pay card?
Message 27 of 49
TXinandout
Frequent Contributor

You want to close the account before you file, and find yourself another institution unless you can save the credit card with NFCU.
BK Discharged 06/02/2016 SCORES AROUND 475

Current scores:
EXP-667
EQ-654
TU-653
Message 28 of 49
SSH0126
Established Contributor

I am going to call now and see how that works. 

@TXinandout wrote:
You want to close the account before you file, and find yourself another institution unless you can save the credit card with NFCU.

Message 29 of 49
SSH0126
Established Contributor

So close all accounts right checkings savings included.??

Message 30 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.