cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU membership after bankruptcy charge off

tag
LordJust

Re: NFCU membership after bankruptcy charge off

I called member services and asked to talk to Collections department.  I logged into my NFCU account and saw they took the "we are not trying to collect a debt" statement was removed.  I've been banking with NFCU since 2004, so I wanted to know if I could continue.  She assured me the money I may owe from repossesion from Ch7 has been written off with my Ch7 and I could continue banking with no restrictions.  As I stated, she said they had some policy changes in the not too distant past.  I hope it all works out for you.

Filed BK7: 9/2016
Discharged: 11/2016
644 EQ FICO 12/2016
606 TU FICO 12/2016
596 EX FICO 12/2016
Message 11 of 17
missy42
Regular Contributor

Hope you keep us posted on the outcome.  I'm including them in my Chap 7 in the near future as I owe them around $48K.  While I would like to bank with them again, I do not plan to repay any debt discharged.  They need to change that rule as it's not only unfair, sounds a bit illegal as well.  IMO

Filed Ch 13- 8/29/17
Message 12 of 17
LordJust

I'll def keep the forums posted.  I just applied and approved for the Credit One card from the post chapter 7 guide that's on here.  Waiting for the card to get the $1k loan from a CU in the area.  Good luck!

Filed BK7: 9/2016
Discharged: 11/2016
644 EQ FICO 12/2016
606 TU FICO 12/2016
596 EX FICO 12/2016
Message 13 of 17
Scupra
Super Contributor

@LordJust wrote:

Not so sure about that anymore.....I just discharged and included my car in chapter 7 that was financed via them.  I asked specifically if I were able to reapply for loans and/or cards and the rep told me I have a clean slate.   I'm starting the 700 in 24 months strategy, so I won't be getting any loans anytime soon.  Discharge date was 11/30/16 btw.

Now we are in need of a GP asap Smiley Happy That would be some amazing news. Feel like testing the waters for the community? Did you only burn them on an auto loan, and not a credit card? I wonder if that could be a deciding factor..

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 14 of 17
AllCredit
Frequent Contributor

Has there been any update on this?

Message 15 of 17
krielly
Established Contributor

@missy42 wrote:

Hope you keep us posted on the outcome.  I'm including them in my Chap 7 in the near future as I owe them around $48K.  While I would like to bank with them again, I do not plan to repay any debt discharged.  They need to change that rule as it's not only unfair, sounds a bit illegal as well.  IMO

Don't get me wrong, I filed BK13 myself back in 2005, however to state it's "unfair" that they will not lend to you again after burning them for 48K is interesting to me. Would you lend money again to a friend who burned you in the past? (Say nothing about 48K worth). There is also nothing illegal about this either.....lol.

I think its great when folks are able to get back in, but don't think anyone should feel entitled to it at all.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. But you can dip your finger in the bowl and lick the icing!
Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a little fyi. My chapter 7 discharge was from 1998. I burned NFCU with about $5k in cc debt. They reapproved me for a new credit card about 7 years later, with an excellent interest rate, around 7% if I remember correctly. Unfortunately I had to file again in 2014 due to divorce. I'm not sure if I'll ever have a card with them again after burning them for $5k and then $7k. Maybe I'll apply in another 5 years or so. I also would love to take out my mortgage with them also, but that probably won't be possible.
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.