Did you mean: 

NFCU question...

tag
Madrid2020
Established Member

NFCU question...

So just applied FOR NFCU they said they will send me
Debit card in mail 10
Business days. Also she said they might ask me for eligibility paper to show my grandfather worked. But I don’t have confirmation. Do they usually always check and have to mail them proof?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: NFCU question...

The "may" ask for documentation at anytime but I have never seen anyone post they had to provide it. 

I do suggest you get the documentation though because if they do request and you don't comply they will shut down your accounts immediately. 

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 9
Madrid2020
Established Member

I see you have some pen fed cards. Do you like Pen Fed? Maybe u should apply for pen fed instead since I don’t have prof for NFCU. 🤔 I don’t want them to get happy and then they close my accounts :/
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is an old thread, but I do have some guidance  in case someone else stumbles across it. 

I have been with NFCU for 6 months and they have never asked for any eligibility documentation. That being said, you should be able to request "DD Form 214" for your family member that served. 

"The DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, generally referred to as a "DD 214", is a document of the United States Department of Defense, issued upon a military service member's retirement, separation, or discharge from active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States..." 

It is a bit of a process to get and there are companies that will expedite it for an additional fee. 

Message 4 of 9
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

Madrid2020, 

Navy Federal has a history of having a very strict verification department. I would make sure to keep your grandfather's eligibility paperwork. From previous posts, NFCU normally does a verification check after opening your account. I have also read that they have check eligibility when applying for mortgages.

I just a few years ago in a branch with my Navy League membership. I had them scan the papers right then and there. I've never had an issue.

If NFCU asks for any paperwork, send it in ASAP. They are known for suspending accounts. 

Guyatthebeach

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

For those looking to open an account, your best bet may be to visit a branch. While some branches may be overly zealous with verification of membership eligibility, the only on the actually requires verification is if you claim to be in the same household as another membmer. Otherwise, branches are *supposed to* accept your membership eligibility reason and move on, unless there is suspicion of fraud.

Edit: Those joining through Navy League (no longer an option) was the exception to this rule. At one point, all Navy League applications required review by the Membership department.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

When we opened our account last summer I did that over the phone and all the person on the phone did was ask about our eligibility.  I am eligible because both of my grandfathers served in the military. Both are deceased now so hopefully I can request either DD-214 if needed.  I told he CSR that my grandfather on my dad's side was a career Navy (which is the truth) and they accepted that.

Do you think we would ever be asked in the future for proof for the DD-214?  Our checking/savings is now with NFCU and so is one of our credit cards.

Message 7 of 9
CGeorge
Frequent Contributor

You should always, always have available proof.

I actually offered NFCU a copy of my husband's DD-214, and was told that it wasn't necessary at that time. They let le me join, and I am all set up.

And honestly, I would never have sought membership unless I entitled to it...

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I feel the same way CGeorge.  I wouldn't have even tried until I read exactly what their membership qualifications were, and with my grandparents being former military I knew I was eligible.  Not joining the military is something I regret.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.