Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU secured card in Chapter 13

tag
Carissa82
Established Member

NFCU secured card in Chapter 13

I see defferent things on here about NFCU and secured cards. I am into a Chapter 13 for 13 months now. I called and asked and they wouldn't tell me if they will approve a secured card in an acitve 13. I've read here that some had success and some did not. So for those of you that did get this card, was it in or after your 13 and how many years out? Also, what agency do they pull from, I would need to unlock my report. 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
yodi2007
Contributor

Re: NFCU secured card in Chapter 13

@Carissa82 wrote:

I see defferent things on here about NFCU and secured cards. I am into a Chapter 13 for 13 months now. I called and asked and they wouldn't tell me if they will approve a secured card in an acitve 13. I've read here that some had success and some did not. So for those of you that did get this card, was it in or after your 13 and how many years out? Also, what agency do they pull from, I would need to unlock my report. 

Thanks!

I had gotten NFCU unsecured card for around 500 in credit limit while I was in chapter 13. Then after about 6 months they automatically bumped me up to a 2k credit limit that I didn't even ask for!

Message 2 of 11
jmw1
Frequent Contributor

I got it with a non-discharged 13 after the first 12 months. I forgot which bureau they pulled.  

Message 3 of 11
coreyb80
Super Contributor

I was approved for a NFCU securd card in July 2019 while in an active 13.  Took about 7/8 months before it graduated.  Oddly enough I just requested for my 6 month CLI this morning and waiting to see if it happens this week.  

Message 4 of 11
Carissa82
Established Member

As an update, I am 13 months into a Chapter 13. I applied and was approved for the nrewards secured card with at $200.00 limit. I plan on putting my cell phone bill on it monthly, autopay for the card and letting it just sit. Hopefully it graduates to a decent limit in the future. I'll update my post as it does. 

Message 5 of 11
Carissa82
Established Member

So 3 months in and my limit was increased to $600.00 with no request to do so. They said in the email that at 6 months they will review for possible upgrade to cahsRewards unsecured card. My deposit was not yet returned to my savings account, I imagine it wont be until I'm at 6 months and unsecured. I use it every month for an autopay an autopay pay it off. I have never carried a balance. So far so good. I'm 16 months into my chaper 13.

Message 6 of 11
Lurker22
Frequent Contributor

@Carissa82 wrote:

So 3 months in and my limit was increased to $600.00 with no request to do so. They said in the email that at 6 months they will review for possible upgrade to cahsRewards unsecured card. My deposit was not yet returned to my savings account, I imagine it wont be until I'm at 6 months and unsecured. I use it every month for an autopay an autopay pay it off. I have never carried a balance. So far so good. I'm 16 months into my chaper 13.

I'm 54 months into my 13 (6 payments to go) - opened nRewards about 2 weeks after you, my 3rd statement just closed - never carried a balance hoping some love comes along anyday now but wondering if carrying a credit balance in 2 of the 3 months when the statement closed might mess up their computer so I won't see any love

Message 7 of 11
Carissa82
Established Member

If I remember correctly someone else posted they did carry a balance and still got unsecured. 

Message 8 of 11
Lurker22
Frequent Contributor

@Carissa82 wrote:

If I remember correctly someone else posted they did carry a balance and still got unsecured. 

Fingers crossed but no love yet Smiley Sad

Message 9 of 11
Carissa82
Established Member

Ok so this will be my last update. At 6 months the card graduated to an unsecured cashRewards visa with a 2k credit limit. I spoke to a rep and they will release my security deposit in 2-3 business day. All this while I'm still in my chapter 13. So far, I'm very pleased with NFCU. They have never left me on hold on the phone or online chat for more than a few minutes. They only time I couldn't get an exact answer to my problem was when I initially called the BK dept to find out if I would be approved for the secured card while in an active 13. They told me they couldn't be sure until I applied. Every other inquiry has been answered on the first try. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.