Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Credit Union

tag
ShebaDiva

Navy Federal Credit Union

Hello All,

I am new to this forum and I LOVE IT! I wish I had found out about this when I decided to file BK in July 2012.

Question: I use to be a member with NFCU and I owed them $2000. I included this in my BK, my BK was Discharge in October 2012. I called them today to re-open my account and they told me I still owe the debt. Is this true? I thought when you file BK this wipe out the debt. Can someone help me with this.

Thanks

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
starry1
Valued Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Credit Union

That is true that you never ever have to pay what you owed them. Except if you want another account with them. If I were in your shoes i would pay them and start banking with them again. They are good to you if you are good to them.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 2 of 22
HindSight_20_20
Frequent Contributor

ShebaDiva,

Yeah unfortunately with NFCU if you've included any of there products in a BK you'll have to pay everything you owe in order to be considered for membership again.  And once you are back in you'll have to prove credit worthiness if you'd like to apply for CC's or Loans.  But it can be done - and has been done so keep your head up and pay them if a re-newed relationship with them is at the top of your priority list.  

Best of circumstances to you!

Goal Score: EX 700|TU 700|EQ700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

HiltonHonors AMEX 2K | Amazon Store CC $800 | Bed Bath & Beyond 2K | Lowes CC 11K | Cap 1 Secured $500 | Cap 1 Plat $300 | Cap 1 Savor 1K |Citi Secured $200 | Target $500 | Kohl's $1K | Truist Cashback 4.5K | Penfed Power Cash Back 3.5K |Apple Pay CC 3K | Venmo Sig Visa 7.5K | SECU 13.5K | Bragg Mutual FCU 10K | Best Buy Citi Visa $2.5K | DiscoverIT CB 11.5K
Message 3 of 22
ShebaDiva

Thanks Everyone!! I will take you all advice and try to Pay it off..

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have decided to file Chapter 7 bankruptcy. I have my home financed through Navy Fed . I have a Navy Federal  credit card and a consumer loan I would like to add to my bankruptcy. Can Navy Federal add these to my home loan once the BK is filed, or can this affect my home loan in any way???

Thanks

Message 5 of 22
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

If you ever want to be in good with nfcu , pay them.  They will be your best buds in the rebuild process.  It really is worth the 2k.

Message 6 of 22
chasmith
Valued Contributor

I agree, they are great and worth trying tomaintain a relationship...

I suspect that they are using a cross-security clause to say you still owe a debt.  Generally CUs have this, banks don't.  I've seen posts here where a poster had a car and unsecured debt with a CU, poad off the car and couldn't get the car title without paying the other debt.  Same could possobly apply here to your home.

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 22
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Yep you have to typically sign a reaffirmation with the CU before you pay your debt to be considered for an account again. When you reaffirm, they can come after you if you don't pay the debt.

After Chapter 7 is a long road to recovery. It will be a couple of years before you can get approved for a credit card again. You can't just wipe out all of your debt and then get your credit cards back. You will be punished for filing. My BK 7 is 9 yrs, 5 mos old and I am still having issues. You'll be able to get an auto loan with high interest but no prime credit cards for like 8-9 years. You can probably get approved with First Premier or Credit One for a credit card but they will charge enormous interest and you get a credit limit of $200-300 and the fees usually take up most of your limit and you will need to pay them immediately so that the high utilization doesn't crash your score. I waited 3 years after my Ch 13 to apply for a card with Orchard Bank as their terms were reasonable. Orchard Bank no longer offers credit cards because they were bought out by Capital One and the transition is still ongoing.

Filing bankruptcy should be your last resort and if you can afford monthly payments to the trustee, you should file a 13 as it looks more favorable to lenders as it shows you paid off some of what you owed and if you complete the plan successfully, it is deleted off your credit report in 7 years vs 10 years with a Ch 7.

Every time a lender pulls your credit, that Chapter 7 will show up for the next 10 years. And you'll have deposits, high interest, or a denial.

2012 was my year as the 7 year old Ch 13 was deleted off my reports and I just am now able to get tier 1 lease financing, a great interest rate on a mortgage, and prime credit cards with decent limits. I lived on cash only for 8 years after bankruptcy and I highly recommend it so you learn how to stay within your means. If you need an auto loan, get it but I would leave credit cards alone unless you are applying for a secured card. You aren't going to get the cards that offer cash back or points for travel for a long time. The discharge just means your debts are forgiven...not your credit. You have to revive your good payment history, etc. on your own and it takes time and hard work.

Just telling you how bankruptcy really is, with no sugar coating. There are always exceptions but chances are slim. My reports will be bankruptcy free Aug 2013, and then I can apply for a AMEX and know it will be instant approval. I just got my Chase Freedom in the mail a couple of days ago and it took 3 weeks to approve because of the 9.4 yr old Chapter 7 bankruptcy (so yes, if you are wondering...I filed both a 7 and a 13 two years apart from each other and the 7 is the oldest and has hurt me the worst). My credit scores of 700+ helped, but like I said, the lender also sees the Ch 7 and it leaves a sour taste in their mouth...the older the bankruptcy is and the more trade lines you have in good standing after the discharge, the easier it is to sweeten the taste of it to lenders.

Best of luck to you. Unless you need a car loan, I would chill out and focus on paying your bills and saving money while you wait for the inquiries to drop off because applying for credit right now will lead to denials and more inquiries which will drop your score more and lower your chances of getting new credit. This post is based on real life experience, so I hope you take it seriously. If you don't, then it will be an even longer road to recovery.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 8 of 22
ShebaDiva

Thank you and I will take your advice in consideration.

Message 9 of 22
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

You're welcome. Not trying to be mean at all...truly trying to help you. Everyone that filed had a good reason for filing. I filed myself...twice due to mostly bad financial decisions on my part but I came out stronger and way more knowledgeable about credit and you will too. It just takes time to heal the wounds. :-)
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.